Using the sous vide to cook veggies can be a delicious and fun way to use your immersion circulator. Here are my top 3 tips for using sous vide to cook your veggies.
It’s well known that you can cook all kinds of meats and seafood in the sous vide, but have you ever tried veggies?! Honestly, I am not sure that there isn’t anything you can’t cook with the sous vide.
How to Use a Sous Vide to Cook Veggies
From carrots and asparagus to fajita vegetables and corn on the cob to even mashed potatoes.
Just like with any meat you would use your immersion circulator to cook, the same process applies to veggies. An even cook throughout, just enough crunch and bite and never ever mushy or dried out!
Here are my 3 favorite tips when I am sous viding veggies in our home:
- Spice it up! Using spices, herbs, oils, and vinegar to give your veggies life and incredible flavor! Place any combination of those in your bag along with the vegetables, vacuum seal to lock in those flavors, and sous vide away!
- Veggie combos! Don’t be afraid to mix up your veggies. Throw together red, yellow, and orange bell peppers with onions with some Mexican spices for fajitas veggies. Cauliflower and broccoli for a healthy side dish with dinner. Zucchini, yellow squash, and fresh herbs for a summer BBQ. The options are limitless!
- Sear it off to finish! Just like with meats, searing on a hot cast iron skillet after cooking in the sous vide can give another depth of flavor and finishing touch. Pat dry your veggies after cooking and place in hot cast iron with olive oil and or butter and sear for just a couple of minutes to get a caramelized color all around. While like meat this isn’t a necessary step, I love the finish it gives to veggies like asparagus, onions, new potatoes, and zucchini.
Sous Vide Recipes
- Sous Vide Maple Carrots
- Sous Vide Steak Gyros
- Roasted Red Pepper and Egg White Sous Vide Bites
- Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin
- Sous Vide Flank Steak Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette Dressing
- How to Make Shrimp Cocktail in a Sous Vide
- Sous Vide Vanilla Bean Cheesecake
- Sous Vide Turkey Breast
Sous Vide Tips
- Homemade Christmas Gift Using Sous Vide
- Why Buying a Vacuum Sealer Made Sous Vide Cooking So Much Easier
- How I Use My Vacuum Sealer to Stock My Freezer
- Sous Vide Air Removal Method