You can’t go wrong with this meal. All the flavors of summer. Healthy. Easy. No pans to clean. Sign me up!
Justin and I have pretty much lived on this meal all summer. No lie, I have made every week. It is flavorful, fresh, quick, no cleanup and pretty much hassle free when thinking of what I need to buy for it.
So many times I get stuck in a food rut. I have no idea what to make for dinner. I have hundreds of recipes at my disposal and still somehow manage not to be inspired by anything sometimes. This usually happens in times where we are super busy and we get home late at night. I train late a lot during the weekdays and if I don’t have time to prep dinner that morning or we have leftovers, the last thing I want to do at 8:30 pm is spent an hour cooking.
That is why this has been my go to and dinner BFF this summer. I don’t know what to make? Not have time? Chicken and veggies skewers it is! It is light and healthy, takes 10 minutes to assemble and Justin gets to get his grill on (aka his outdoor baby). It is a win win for all parties involved.
I usually make enough for a family of 10. 🙂 They make great leftovers for us to eat the next night and take for lunch. Use which ever summer veggies are your favorite and some with spices. I like to keep it simple — salt and pepper — I usually always go for a variety of squash, red onion, peppers, eggplant and always pineapple. That is my secret ingredient that really makes these over the top. If you have never had grilled pineapple so yourself a favor and go make these for dinner tonight! The sweet and juicy pineapple is the perfect compliment to the crunchy and savory flavors of the other veggies and chicken.
The chicken can be marinated the night before and just be kept in the fridge. If you don’t have time to do that they are perfect with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper right before you throw on the grill. Make it work for you. Whatever flavor combos you like and resources time allows for. This is a fuss free, mess free and easily adaptable recipe.
I can’t wait for you to make this your go to “I don’t know what I want to make for dinner” healthy recipe!
- 1 pineapple
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- ½ bag sweet mini pepper
- 1 red onion
- Olive oil, drizzle
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Juice from ½ lime
- Wooden skewers
- In a gallon
bag combine all ingredients for chicken skewers with the cubed chicken breast. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour. I prepped mine the day before and left to marinate overnight. ziplock
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 mins (I do this while I wash and prep all the veggies).
- Wash all vegetables. Cubed vegetables into slices relatively similar in size to one another. Arrange on a sheet pan.
- Turn grill to medium to medium-high and let heat up.
- Assemble vegetable skewers in any desired pattern and
order. Lay flat on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rotate to make sure all sides are coated.
- Place vegetables on the grill while you assemble chicken.
- Place cubed marinated chicken on the skewer and set aside on separate baking sheet.
- Add chicken to opposite side of the grill. Rotate each skewer every 5 minutes to ensure all sides are cooked. The chicken will be finished once the inside has come to 165 degrees and the juices run clear.
- Cook vegetable until desired doneness (30-45 minutes depending on how roasted you like your edges).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!