Simple syrup is so easy to make at home. Equal parts sugar and water and you have a sweet syrup to add to any drink or cocktail of choice!
Simple syrup is one of those things that you can make yourself that is just too easy not to. Kinda like whipped cream in my opinion. It's quick, easy, no junk and fillers in it, and tastes so much better than store-bought!
So skip the processed bottles and make this yourself. You can half this recipe to even triple it. Make as much or as little as you need and keep it in the fridge to sweeten any drink or cocktail you desire!
What is Simple Syrup Made Of?
It is equal parts sugar and water. A 1:1 ratio.
So the beauty in this is you can make how much or as little as you want. This recipe is 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water making 8 ounces of simple syrup. But as long as you have equal parts of both water and sugar you can make as much or as little as you want.
How Do You Make Simple Syrup from Scratch?
- In a medium-size saucepan, add the water and sugar. Turn on medium heat.
- Bring to a low boil and let cook for 10 minutes. It will reduce down to a thick syrup over that time. Stir at the beginning to help dissolve the sugar.
- Once the time is up, remove from the heat and pour into a mason jar or airtight container (if not glass let it cool first).
- Store in the fridge and use in any drink or cocktail that needs to be sweetened.
How Long Does it Last?
Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a month.
Do You Refrigerate Simple Syrup?
Yes! Keep it in the fridge to make sure it stays fresh and lasts.
Simple Syrup Variations
Another great thing about this is that it can be infused with so many other flavors! Adding herbs, fruits, and spices can change this syrup to add more flare to your drink concoctions.
Try simple syrup flavors like:
Put any herb, fruit, or spice into the pot with the sugar and water on the stove to let the infusion happen as the sugar dissolves and syrup forms. Strain and remove anything from the syrup and store like above.
How to Use It!
Use it to sweetened any drink, coffee or cocktail!
Using it in an iced drink is preferred because it dissolves perfectly not leaving undissolved sugar granules.
Sweeten things such as
- iced coffee
- sweet tea
- use it to sweetened and moisten cake layers
- drizzle it over fruit or a sweetened fruit salad
- any liquids you want a hint of sweetness too!
Recipes to Use Simple Syrup In
- 3 Ingredient Peach Frosé [Frozen Rosé + Video]
- Easy Mint Cold Brew
- Frozen Watermelon and Mint Margarita
- Jalapeno Lemonade