Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
I do not know about you but I AM SO READY FOR SUMMER! At this point in our dreary, cold and dreadfully long winter, I am just begging for 50 degrees or above and SUNSHINE (oh sunshine...how I miss you and forget what your glorious rays feel like on my skin). Also, please stop snowing AND raining. Agh....winter you are no longer welcomed here. OK?
In all efforts and attempts to hurry summer and warm weather along I am switching our soups and hearty comfort foods over to the light and colorful summer dishes. We have eaten our body weight in asparagus recently and I am itching to get the grill out and fired up for back porch dinners.
I actually hadn't planned on making anything for Easter, I wasn't inspired by anything or really craving something particular. That all changed when I saw a picture of lemon poppy seed cake and I immediately went to the kitchen and started baking therapy.
This recipe is adapted off of Cake by Courtney (who also am obsessed with on Insta.....hello crazy amazing cake flavor combos!). I switched a couple things up and added my own little touch.
Cake flour is a must in this recipe. It makes the cupcakes so incredibly soft and fluffy. You will be shocked and then immediately want to snuggle up next to their tender little selves. This is best eaten straight out of the oven warm or within the next 24 hours. Honesty they are perfect on their own and do not need any icing. However, if you are feeling inclined I recommend the light lemon flavored cream cheese frosting route.
I am not a huge icing fan and definitely hate overly sweet things (and icing....ick) so I tend to air on the side of a not so sweet buttercream/cream cheese frosting. So if it is not as sweet as you would like, continue to add more powdered sugar. If so you may need to adjust the whipping cream and lemon juice ratios to keep nice and soft and fluffy. Note that this isn't a stiff decorating frosting. Best to just ice them with a knife and cute sprinkles. If you don't want a lemon flavor, omit the lemon juice and just add more heavy cream.
Make these Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes ASAP for a bite of summer and sunshine, it will help with this forever long winter. I promise 🙂 Happy April!
In the mood for more desserts? These are sure to be a favorite for you!Print
Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 30 cupcakes 1x
You will not be able to put these Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes down once you take one bite! Filled with the perfect amount of sweet and tang in every bite, and irresistibly light and fluffy.
- 2 Sticks of Butter, room temperature
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- 3 Cups Cake Flour
- 4 ½ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Poppyseeds
- 1 ¼ Cup Buttermilk
- Zest and Juice of 2 Large Lemons
- 2 Sticks Butter, room temperature
- 6 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar - sifted
- 1 Tablespoon Whipping Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer place 2 sticks of butter and whip with a paddle attachment for 2 -3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in sugar and beat on medium speed for 4 - 5 minutes until well combined and fluffy.
- Turn speed to low and slowly add 1 egg at a time until well combined. Be careful not over mix. Add the egg whites at the end and mix to combine. Scrape down sides with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds.
- Add in ⅓ of sifted flour to egg and butter mixture and mix until combined. Add in ½ of buttermilk, mix until combined. Continue with another ⅓ flour, rest of buttermilk and last ⅓ of flour. Scrape down sides before adding each addition.
- Zest 2 large lemons into the cake batter. Juice those lemons and add to cake batter. Mix again until combined.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill each liner ¾ of the way full with batter.
- Place in oven and cook for 15-16 minutes. Check middle with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean to ensure batter is cooked thoroughly.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack until cooled completely.
For the frosting:
- Place 2 sticks of butter in a stand mixer with paddle attachment and beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides and add cream cheese. Whipping for 3 more minutes.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, mixing on low until combined.
- Add in whipping cream and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Frost cupcakes as desired and enjoy!
- Cupcakes unfrosted can be kept in an airtight ziplock or container for up to 4 days. If frosted keep in the refrigerator.
- Cupcake recipe adapted from Cake by Courtney.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcakes
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 20.7 g
- Sodium: 83.1 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 70.8 mg
Keywords: Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes