You will not be able to put these Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes down once you take one bite! Filled with the perfect amount of sweet and tang in every bite, and irresistibly light and fluffy.
- 2 Sticks of Butter, room temperature
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Egg Whites
- 3 Cups Cake Flour
- 4 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Poppyseeds
- 1 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- Zest and Juice of 2 Large Lemons
- 2 Sticks Butter, room temperature
- 6 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar - sifted
- 1 Tablespoon Whipping Cream
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer place 2 sticks of butter and whip with a paddle attachment for 2 -3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in sugar and beat on medium speed for 4 - 5 minutes until well combined and fluffy.
- Turn speed to low and slowly add 1 egg at a time until well combined. Be careful not over mix. Add the egg whites at the end and mix to combine. Scrape down sides with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds.
- Add in 1/3 of sifted flour to egg and butter mixture and mix until combined. Add in 1/2 of buttermilk, mix until combined. Continue with another 1/3 flour, rest of buttermilk and last 1/3 of flour. Scrape down sides before adding each addition.
- Zest 2 large lemons into the cake batter. Juice those lemons and add to cake batter. Mix again until combined.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill each liner 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Place in oven and cook for 15-16 minutes. Check middle with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean to ensure batter is cooked thoroughly.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack until cooled completely.
For the frosting:
- Place 2 sticks of butter in a stand mixer with paddle attachment and beat for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides and add cream cheese. Whipping for 3 more minutes.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, mixing on low until combined.
- Add in whipping cream and lemon juice and mix until combined.
- Frost cupcakes as desired and enjoy!
- Cupcakes unfrosted can be kept in an airtight ziplock or container for up to 4 days. If frosted keep in the refrigerator.
- Cupcake recipe adapted from Cake by Courtney.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcakes
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 20.7 g
- Sodium: 83.1 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 70.8 mg
Keywords: Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes