Red White and Blue Oreo Balls are a quick and easy dessert perfect to serve at any festive holiday and occasion!
I love a good theme party but the best theme parties of the year are 100% the 4th of July and any patriotic celebration!
Give me all the stars and stripes headbands, shirts, swimsuits...anything! I am wearing it and will cook only food that is red white or blue. That is the only way to do it. ?
These red white and blue Oreo balls are so easy to make and will make the perfect sweet treat for any patriotic celebration you have this 4th of July (or Memorial Day or Labor Day). It is the perfect bite-sized sweet treat that everyone will love.
- 14 Ounces Golden Oreos (or any vanilla sandwich cookie)
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese
- Pinch of Salt
- 12 Ounces White Chocolate Chips
- Red White and Blue Sprinkles
- In a food processor, add the entire package of golden Oreos. Turn on and mix for a couple of minutes until you have fine Oreo crumbs, or until no big chunks are left.
- Pour Oreo crumbs into a large bowl with the softened cream cheese and a pinch of salt. Mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands until everything is mixed well, leaving you with a thick cookie dough-like mixture.
- Scoop out balls with a cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat (*affiliate link). Use your hands to roll each ball around smoothing our all the sides.
- Pop the balls into the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- While the Oreo balls are in the freezer, start melting your white chocolate. Fill a small saucepan with a couple of inches of water and place it on the stove on medium-low heat. Add the white chocolate chips to a large glass bowl that will fit over the top of the pot on the top, being able to sit on top. Creating a double broiler will slowly melt the white chocolate, insuring it does separate or burn. This will take 10-20 minutes to fully melt the white chocolate chips. As the chocolate warms and melts, stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is nice and smooth with no clumps remaining.
- Once the chocolate is smooth and melted. Remove the Oreo balls from the freezer and set right next to the white chocolate on the stove (leave the chocolate on the stove so that it will stay warm and melted).
- Dip one Oreo ball in the melted white chocolate and move around with a fork making sure all sides are covered. Pick the Oreo ball up from the bottom with a fork and let any excess drip off.
- Place onto the cookie sheet and immediately sprinkle with red white and blue sprinkles.
- Repeat with all the Oreo balls.
- Place back into the freezer for 10 minutes to fully cool and harden the chocolate and then enjoy!
TIP - Not making these for the 4th of July? No problem! Use any color sprinkles for a festive dessert for any type of celebration or holiday!
Frequently Asked Questions
I use a double boiler method for melting the white chocolate for this recipe.
White chocolate can be hard to melt. It easily burns or even separates. ESPECIALLY in the microwave! Do not microwave white chocolate. It never works. Trust me, I have failed at this a million times. Just save yourself. 🙂
To make a double boiler, fill a small saucepan with a couple of inches of water and place it on the stove on medium-low heat. Add the white chocolate chips to a large glass bowl that will fit over the top of the pot on the top, being able to sit on top. Creating a double broiler will slowly melt the white chocolate, insuring it does separate or burn. This will take 10-20 minutes to fully melt. Low and slow is the name of the game for melting white chocolate. As the chocolate warms and melts, stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is nice and smooth with no clumps remaining.
You can crush Oreos in a food processor. I find that the fastest and easiest way to make crushed Oreos is for this recipe.
You could also use a high-power blender. Or place the Oreos in a gallon ziplock bag and crush with a meat mallet or rolling pin. This method is a little more difficult to get the superfine crumbs needed, but just keep beating until the crumbs are fine.
Yes. Oreos balls need to be kept in the refrigerator after they are made. Since they are covered in white chocolate and have cream cheese in them, they need to be stored in the fridge. They can be left out on the counter or outside for your cookout or BBQ, but just be aware the white chocolate may get a little melty if it's hot or has been a while. If this happens, popping the freezer or fridge will harden them right back up!
They freeze excellently too if you would like! You can make these ahead of time and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months (in an airtight container). Or make them and store them in the freezer and eat straight from there. They won't freeze solid and honestly, I prefer them frozen. They are delicious!
You can keep them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Always store in an airtight container.
145 calories are in each oreo ball. The full nutrition facts can be found in the recipe card.
More 4th of July Desserts!
- Red White and Blue Fruit Pizza
- Red, White, and Blue Cake Mix Cookies
- Mini Patriotic Berry Trifles
- Red White and Blue Poke Cake
- Berry and Mint Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Crisps
- Chocolate Chex and Marshmallow Bars
- No Bake Cookies