When you have had your fill of Thanksgiving leftovers, transform your turkey into a delicious turkey and rice soup! Full of veggies, wild rice, and all the turkey leftovers you have.
The Thanksgiving table has been cleared and leftovers have been enjoyed the next day. When you still have an abundance of turkey leftover and a little turkey'ed out - this turkey and rice soup is the perfect answer!
Of course, this doesn't just have to made enjoyed for after Thanksgiving with all the leftover turkey. It can be enjoyed all throughout the cold and winter months when the soup is the ultimate comfort food.
Whatever the time of year and if you have an abundance of turkey leftovers or not, you will love this soup!
Ingredients Need for Turkey and Rice Soup
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken or Turkey Stock
- Wild Rice
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- White Pepper
How to Make Leftover Turkey Soup
This soup is simple to make with just 1 pot, a couple of ingredients, and staple spices you will have one hand.
- Set a large pot on over medium heat. Add in the olive oil and finely diced onions and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add in the minced garlic cloves and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Shred leftover turkey and remove any skins or bones. Add to the stockpot.
- Add in the chicken or turkey stock and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil add in the wild rice and seasonings. Turn down to medium-low and cover with a lid. Shimmer for 30-40 minutes or until the rice has cooked fully.
Can I Use Another Type of Rice?
Yes. Any type of rice would work. You can also use egg noodles if you would like to. I like the taste of the wild rice the best but there are lots of other options!
Cooking times will need to be adjusted, so check the specific times on whatever you are using. If you want to use egg noodles, don't add until right before ready to eat since they do not take long to cook at all.
Can I Use Chicken Instead of Turkey?
Absolutely! You can easily sub out chicken for turkey in this recipe.
Just sub out equal parts shredded chicken for the turkey. This is a great recipe to use up leftovers if you have them but also great to make on its own.
How Long with Turkey and Rice Soup Last?
Store leftover turkey and rice soup covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to Make Turkey and Rice Soup in the Instant Pot and Slow Cooker
- Set the instant pot to saute function. Add in the olive oil and finely diced onions and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add in the minced garlic cloves and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Turn saute function off.
- Shred leftover turkey and remove any skins or bones. Add to the pot.
- Add in the chicken or turkey stock, wild rice, and seasonings. Put the lid on and turn to a custom pressure cook setting and set the time for 25 minutes. Note - it will take 10ish minutes to come to pressure before the cooking time starts.
- Once the 15 minutes is up, manually release the pressure valve and let the steam escape. Open up, stir, and enjoy.
- Add in all the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours (or until the rice is fully cooked through).
More Recipes for Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Tetrazzini with Crunchy Honey Dijon Topping
- The Ultimate Leftover Turkey Club
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Quesadilla (3-Cheese Turkey Cranberry & Sage Quesadilla)
More Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chili Con Carne
- White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Easy Southwestern Chicken Soup
- Rustic Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale
- Italian Wedding Soup