Mexican food lovers raise your hands! I know you’re out there. Yes, I am talking to you. Mister I can eat my weight in chips, salsa, and queso. I see you. I feel you. I got you this week. Well except the queso but that will come at a later date.
Enter the homemade burrito bowl. It is a weekday healthy meal savior. All the Mexican flavors you loved cozied up in a bowl waiting to satisfy your tummy.
These Turkey Burrito Bowls are one of our weekly rotation staples. It is healthy-check, quick to make-check, makes a lot to eat on throughout the week-check, all of the things I love for our Sunday-Thursday meals. I usually go with ground turkey for the main protein source. Add a little taco seasoning and brown until cooked thoroughly. If I don’t have my own taco seasoning made up, my favorite package seasoning is Trader Joe’s. I can get 2 uses out of it and it’s 0.79…score! Add in brown rice, black beans, veggies, shredded lettuce, cheese, salsa and of course avocado. I like to add a little cumin and chili powder to the black beans and veggies just to give it an extra spicy flavor. Canned green chilies is also a great addition to the veggies if you have any on hand….knocks the flavor up a couple notches. Easy peasy, filling, and absolutely delicious.
The beauty of this is you can add or dismiss any ingredients you like. Think of this as your own person Chiptole line. Add your favorite toppings and have fun with it. This is also a great recipe to make for company coming over. Your guests can bring the chips and dip and have a fiesta themed dinner allowing everyone to make their own bowls to their likings.
I will store the leftovers in all separate containers in the fridge and assemble when needed for meals on the go for us. I even enjoy this meal cold (weird….I know).
So go forth and start creating burrito bowls. You won’t regret satisfying your Mexican craving. Let me know down below what your favorite add-ins are for your bowls! Enjoy!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 4 oz shredded lettuce
- 12 oz black beans
- 12 oz corn, fresh or canned
- 12 oz sautéed fajita veggies or peppers
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 16 oz salsa
- 4 oz low-fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 avocado
- Taco seasoning
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet cook ground turkey thoroughly, adding in ½ packet of taco seasoning in at the end with a ½ cup of water and let simmer on low.
- Heat a skillet on med-high and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Place fajita veggies or peppers (fresh or frozen bag) and sauté until the desired doneness. Set aside in a bowl.
- In that same pan, drizzle a small amount of olive oil and roast fresh corn until slightly browned around the edges. If using can corn, just heat on medium until warm.
- Heat a can of black beans over medium heat until a simmer, season with a pinch of salt, cumin, and taco seasoning.
- Assemble bowls with all ingredients, layering how desired.