Broccoli & Cheddar Risotto is the ultimate grown up comfort food. Bursting with cheddar flavors - this classic risotto is served up with a little twist!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion - diced
- 1 1/2 Cup Risotto (Arborio Rice)
- 2 1/2-3 Cups Chicken Broth, low sodium
- 1 Small Head of Broccoli, stalks removed and diced
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Diced Fresh Chives
- In a large skillet (that has deep sides) turn to medium and add in olive oil and onions.
- Saute until soft for 3-4 minutes.
- Add to the skillet the Arborio rice. Toast with the onions and olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn burner to medium-low and add in 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Stir and keep a constant eye on the rice. Once the rice has absorbed almost all the liquid, add another 1/2 cup and repeat.
- The key is to not let the rice absorb all the liquid completely but not add too much at one time either. Adding 1/2 cup at a time is a perfect amount.
- After you have added 1 cup of broth, add the broccoli to the skillet and continue adding broth (1/2 cup at a time), making sure to stir often. This whole process should take around 30 minutes - give or take.
- Once you have added 2 1/2 cups of broth, taste the rice. The risotto should have a "bite" to it. You want it to be soft at first with a bite in the middle. If it is still too hard, add another 1/2 cup of broth and continue cooking. If it is finished, remove it from the heat.
- Once the rice has cooked and been removed from the heat - add in your cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until the cheese is melted and then add to a large bowl.
- Garnish with freshly chopped chives and serve immediately.
- Risotto is best enjoyed hot right after cooking. You can store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. To reheat, add to a plate with a little water and microwave until warm to loosen back up.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 444.6 mg
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.2 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 14 mg
Keywords: Broccoli & Cheddar Risotto