Cast iron buttermilk biscuits are incredibly tender and 100% irresistible. A southern staple that everyone knows and loves, now made from love in your own kitchen!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Crisco, Lard, or Shortening
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in Crisco or shortening until the dough has pea-sized clumps in it and is crumbly.
- Add in the buttermilk and gently mix until the dough has just come together. Do not over-mix!
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and gently bring it together in a ball or round disk.
- With a rolling pin, gently roll out the dough until it is about 1/2-3/4" inches tall. With a round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut straight down into the dough and lift up. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Place the cut biscuits into a greased cast iron skillet (the biscuits can be close together and touch).
- With the remaining dough, gently bring it together and pat it out into a disk again. Cut out more biscuits and place them in the skillet. Repeat this process until all the dough has been used - being careful not to overwork the dough during this process.
- Place the cast iron skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy immediately hot and fresh with butter, honey, your favorite jams, or honey butter.
- To grease the cast iron skillet, put a little bit of shortening on a paper towel and wrap around the skillet until the bottom and sides are lightly covered.
- Leftovers can be stored in a zip-top bag for 3 days. These make excellent breakfast sandwiches too. Pop in the microwave for 10 seconds to gently warm again.
- Biscuits can be frozen in an airtight zip-top bag for 6 months.
- Use stale biscuits to make homemade breadcrumbs or Baked Southern-Style Cornbread and Biscuit Dressing.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 153
- Sugar: 1.3 g
- Sodium: 233.6 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
- Cholesterol: 2.7 mg
Keywords: Cast Iron Buttermilk Biscuits