Chicken Noodle Soup is the ultimate comfort during the dreary and cold winter months. Now you can make this classic soup in the Instant Pot for an even easier meal. This homemade chicken noodle soup is full of flavor, health, and lots of love.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion - finely diced
- 1 Cup Carrots - finely diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves - minced
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 10 Cups Water
- 8 Ounces Egg Noodles
- 5 Pound Whole Chicken
- 3 Eggs
- Finely dice the onion and carrots, and mince the garlic. Set your Instant Pot to the sauté mode and add in olive oil.
- Add in the onion, carrots, and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes until soft and tender. Turn off the sauté function.
- Add in the metal basket to the Instant Pot and place the whole chicken on top (make sure the innards are removed).
- Add in 10 cups of water to the Instant Pot (or until the fill line in a 6 Quart Instant Pot) and all of the spices.
- Place the lid on and close. Make sure it is set to the seal function.
- Set to a custom pressure cook setting for 30 minutes for a 5-pound bird. (**if your chicken is frozen or smaller than 5 pounds please see notes for cooking times)
- Once the 30 minutes are up, let naturally release for 20 minutes, then manually release OR quick-release manually. (Refer to your Instant Pot Guide for specific instructions if needed)
- Open the lid and carefully remove the cooked chicken (making sure to get all of the meat, bones, and skins as will be tender and falling apart from cooking). Remove the trivet as well.
- Pour in 8 ounces of egg noddles into the Instant Pot with the broth, stir and let sit while you shred the chicken. Make sure the Instant Pot is now on the “keep warm” setting.
- Carefully remove all the skin, bones, and cartilage and discard. Shred the chicken finely - be careful the chicken will be very hot! Use tongs and forks to help shred.
- Once the chicken is shredded, add back into the Instant Pot with the broth and noodles. Stir. At this point, the noodles will be cooked.
- Finally, beat 3 eggs in a bowl. Turn on the saute function and bring the broth back up to a low boil or rapid shimmer. Using a spoon, slowly push aside the noodles and chicken, exposing only broth. Slowing drizzle into the soup in spots where the broth is. Add a little at a time, making sure the spot your pour in the eggs is very hot to cook the eggs immediately. Slowly add in the rest of the eggs. Stir to make sure the eggs cook (to form eggs “strings” like in egg drop soup).
- Stir to combine everything and enjoy it!
- If your chicken is smaller than 5 pounds follow the guide below for cooking times
- For a fresh chicken, pressure cook 6 minutes/pound of chicken (ex: 30 minutes for 5 pounds)
- For a frozen chicken, pressure cook 13 minutes/pound of chicken (ex: 65 minutes for 5 pounds)
Follow the recipe as directed, but use a large pot on the stove instead.
- Sauté your veggies over medium heat.
- Add in your chicken, water, and spices, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 30 minutes (for a fresh chicken which I recommend, not frozen for this method.) If you have a frozen whole chicken, place in the fridge 24 hours to thaw prior to making or set in the sink in hot water for several hours prior to cooking).
- Remove the chicken and follow the recipe as directed below.
- Place cooked soup in a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer for 3-4 months. Place in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw. To reheat, place in a large pot and place on a pot on the stove over medium heat until warmed all the way through. If making a double batch to freeze, leave the noodles out and add right at the end when reheating.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup/Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 352
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 608.8 mg
- Fat: 9.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.3 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 54.3 g
- Cholesterol: 227.8 mg
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup