Indulge in this classic - Old Fashioned Baked Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows, a traditional southern side dish that blends tradition with simplicity. Prepared with just six pantry staple ingredients and some spices, this dish is bursting with flavor. The magic unfolds as it's oven-baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, creating a golden-brown masterpiece that can be conveniently prepped the day before or even frozen in advance, ensuring a stress-free and delicious addition to your holiday table.
- 3 Pounds Sweet Potatoes - roughly 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Bag Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and diced the potatoes.
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a large pot covered in water, and place on a stove over high heat. Bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until fork tender (about 10-15 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, eggs, and spices. Mix with a hand mixer until smooth, the butter is melted, and no lumps remain.
- Add in milk and mix until smooth and incorporated.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and sprinkle the marshmallows in an even layer on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the marshmallows are slightly golden brown and puffed.
- Leftovers can be kept wrapped tightly in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To Make Ahead of Time
- The Day Before - Prep casserole all the way up to baking without the marshmallows. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and keep stored in the fridge until needed. When ready, top with marshmallows and bake according to the directions.
- How to Freeze - if making more than a day in advance, make it all the way up to baking but do not add the marshmallows. Place the filling in the casserole dish and wrap airtight with plastic wrap and/or foil a couple of times and place in the freezer for up to 6 months. Remove from the freezer and place in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw. Continue with directions to finish baking, including topping with marshmallows. To bake from frozen, place in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes with a piece of foil on top. Remove, add the topping, and place back in the oven to finish baking for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the middle is hot and bubbly and the marshmallows are golden brown and puffed.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Casseroles
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 15.8 g
- Sodium: 278.5 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.1 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 41.4 mg
Keywords: sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, southern sweet potato casserole. old fashioned sweet potato casserole