These soft sweet potato biscuits will literally melt in your mouth with how tender they are. Learn how to make a simple but comforting twist on a classic southern recipe. Perfect for little ham sandwiches or smothered with butter and honey for breakfast!
- 1 1/4 Cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Sweet Potato (about 1 large or 2 small ones)- peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1/4 Cup Butter - melted
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/4 Cup Butter - melted for topping
- Preheat oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a cast iron skillet with a little bit of shortening and set aside.
- Prep sweet potatoes. Add a large pot on the stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Peel and cube the sweet potatoes into small cubes. Place the sweet potato in the boiling water and cook until fork tender - for about 10-15 minutes. Once tender, remove from the heat, drain in a strainer, add to a bowl, and mash until smooth with a fork. Set aside to cool slightly while you prep the rest.
- Mix dry ingredients. Mix together the flour, sugar, and spices in a large bowl.
- Add in wet ingredients. Add mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, and milk to the flour mixture. Gently mix together with a spatula until a soft dough has formed - do not overwork the dough. It will look a little crumbly and that's ok!
- Prep Dough. Place dough on a countertop and gently bring it together with your hands and a rolling pin in a round disk around about 1/2" high.
- Cutting biscuits. With a 2" round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut straight down into the dough and lift up. Gently place in a cast iron skillet. Repeat until all the dough has been used, allowing the biscuits to touch in the skillet - being gentle to bring it together each time and not overwork the dough. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Baking biscuits Place the cast iron skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 14-15 minutes. When finished, remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Leftover biscuits can be stored in a zip-top bag for 3 days.
To Make Ahead and Freeze
- Follow the recipe for the biscuits as directed. Cool completely. Place on a baking sheet and place in the freezer to flash freeze for 30 minutes. Put in a freezer-safe ziptop bag and seal airtight. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Place in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 160
- Sugar: 2.5 g
- Sodium: 130 mg
- Fat: 9.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 24.5 mg
Keywords: Soft Sweet Potato Biscuits, sweet potato biscuits,