Pumpkin cookies with brown butter icing will melt in your mouth. Soft and tender with bold flavors of fall and brown butter - this will be your new favorite fall treat!
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Pumpkin
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice ** (see notes)
Brown Butter Icing
- 4 Tablespoons Brown Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Cream
- 1 1/4 Cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste (or vanilla extract)
Brown Butter Frosting
- Place 1/4 cup of butter in a large shallow skillet on medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and starting to turn brown. Once melted keep an eye on the color and smell. It can go from brown butter to burnt butter very quickly. This whole process will take around 10 minutes. The butter once melted will start to bubble and foam. You will know when it is done when there are brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, it's a caramel color and starts to smell nutty. Remove from heat and let cool completely (place in the fridge or freezer to speed the process up).
- Add the brown butter to a large bowl (it can still be in the liquid state) and add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Mix with a hand mixer until blended. Add 1 tablespoon of cream and another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and mix well. Add the remaining cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla bean paste. Mix until a thick and smooth consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, add brown sugar, pumpkin, egg, and oil. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl add all of the dry ingredients and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently stir till everything is incorporated and no flour streaks remain.
- Scoop onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Let cool completely before adding icing to the tops of each one.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
If you do not have pumpkin pie spice on hand you can make your own:
- 4 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
Mix well and keep in an airtight container with your spices. Use 1 1/2 teaspoons of this mix for this recipe.
How to Make Ahead and Freeze
- To freeze pumpkin cookies WITHOUT the frosting, make the cookies and cool them completely.
- Set each cooking on a baking sheet making sure not to touch each other. Place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes or until frozen.
- Place frozen cookies in a freezer-safe and ait tight container or bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To thaw, remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge for 24 hours. Frost as normal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 11 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookies
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 41.2 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.7 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 1.1 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg
Keywords: Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing