These pumpkin cookies with brown butter frosting will melt in your mouth. Soft and tender with bold flavors of fall and brown butter - this will be your new favorite fall treat!
Oh yes, we are in full-blown pumpkin season here and it is perfectly acceptable! I am a pumpkin fan and I am proud to say it. These pumpkin cookies with brown butter frosting may be at the top of my fav list!
Today you can find pumpkin flavor in almost everything - I am not a fan of it all. I like to stick to the classics:
- Pumpkin Roll (the most FAV of all pumpkin recipes!)
- Pumpkin Pie with Homemade Whipped Cream
- Pumpkin Coffee (note, NOT pumpkin spice lattes....nope)
- Pumpkin Bread & Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
They all pretty much have the same theme. Spicy subtle pumpkin flavor, pillowy soft goodness, and more times than not a cream cheese frosting to accompany (or in this case brown butter everything!).
- Brown Sugar
- Canned Pumpkin Puree
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, add brown sugar, pumpkin, egg, and oil. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl add all of the dry ingredients and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently stir till everything is incorporated.
- Scoop onto a baking sheet and bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Let cool completely before adding icing.
PRO TIP: make the icing BEFORE the cookies so the brown butter has time to cool.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is a process of cooking the butter down in a skillet till it is melted and almost caramelized. As the butter melts it starts to brown and transforms into the rich, nutty, and bold flavor powerhouse that can be used both in savory and sweet dishes.
As you melt the butter and it begins to brown, there will be little bits of brown pieces that start to form on the bottom just further enhancing the flavor. You can use brown butter in things like chocolate chip cookies, rice Krispie treats, or pasta and an incredible sauce for pan-fried gnocchi!
How to Make Brown Butter Frosting
We all know by this point that I am going to use brown butter or burrata on anything I can get my hands on so we are not surprised that I choose this for the icing. Its nutty flavor pairs perfectly with the fall flavors we all love.
- Place ¼ cup of butter in a large shallow skillet on medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and starting to turn brown. Once melted keep an eye on the color and smell. It can go from brown butter to burnt butter very quickly. This whole process will take around 10 minutes. The butter once melted will start to bubble and foam. You will know when it is done when there are brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, it's a caramel color and starts to smell nutty. Remove from heat and let cool completely (place in the fridge or freezer to speed the process up).
- Add the brown butter to a large bowl (it can still be in the liquid state) and add ½ cup of powdered sugar. Mix with a hand mixer until blended.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cream and another ½ cup of powdered sugar and mix well. Add the remaining cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla bean paste. Mix until a thick and smooth consistency.
- Use an offset spatula* to ice each cooled pumpkin cookie with about a 1-2 teaspoons of icing each. This is rich so a little goes a long way. This is just enough icing for this recipe.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
It has happened to us all. We have a recipe that calls for pumpkin pie spice and looks in our cabinet to find nothing!
No worries! Just make your own!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 4 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Allspice
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
Mix well and keep in an airtight container with your spices. Use 1 ½ teaspoons of this mix for this recipe.
In fact, this is what I usually do anyways since I have those spices on hand always throughout the year.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Overnight Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Baked Pumpkin Donut Holes
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Loaf
- Southern Pumpkin Pie
- Sous Vide Pumpkin Pie
- Soft Pumpkin Scones with a Maple Drizzle
- Super Soft Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting