Have an abundance of leftover mashed potatoes? No problem! Make this easy 5 ingredient mashed potato cakes for a quick snack or appetizer that everyone will love!
- 2 Cups Leftover Mashed Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Flour + more if needed
- 1 Egg
- 1/4-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4-1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 C Butter - for cooking and topping
- In a large bowl, mix cold leftover masked potatoes, flour, egg, salt, and pepper. Depending on the consistency of the potatoes, you may need more flour to bind them. Start with 1/2 cup and then add 1/4 cup at a time if needed. Mix until well combined.
- Place a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of butter and let melt. Place a scoop of the potato mixture in the skillet and flatten slightly. Repeat until the pan is full but not crowded and touching. Cook on one side for 5-7 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes until the same and warmed all the way through.
- Remove from the skillet and repeat with the rest of the mixture. Turn the heat down to medium-low if the skillet gets too hot and add more butter when needed.
- Enjoy hot and fresh with butter on top!
- Try some flavor add-ins like cheddar cheese, bacon, and chives that can be added to the potato mixture if desired.
- Depending on your mashed potatoes, you may not need much salt and pepper. Start with 1/4 tsp of each then add more if needed.
To Make Ahead and Freeze:
- Scoop mashed potato pancake batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten out like you are going to fry them in the skillet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to freeze solid. Place in a freezer-safe container once frozen individually and store for up to 6 months.
- To make: place pancake straight from the freezer in a skillet over medium-low heat with butter. Cook on one side for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown and a crispy outer layer. Flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes until that side is golden brown and cooked all the way through. Repeat with as many as desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pancake
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 0.9 g
- Sodium: 159.7 mg
- Fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 27.3 mg
Keywords: Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes