Have an abundance of leftover mashed potatoes? No problem! Make this easy 5 ingredient leftover mashed potato pancakes for a quick snack or appetizer that everyone will love!
Did your mom ever make you potato pancakes from leftover mashed potatoes growing up? Mine did and I loved it! I often forget about some easy childhood staples we grew up with that were just so so good. This is one of them.
But if you have a ton of leftovers, don't let them go to waste! Make delicious pancakes instead that are the perfect savory side dish or afternoon snack. They have the same cozy comfort as a big bowl of mashed potatoes but in an elevated form. You will love them!
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes
This recipe is easy to adjust based on the quantity that you have. This is based on using 2 cups of potatoes but can easily be doubled, tripled, or more if needed. And the good news - these freeze so well! Read below for how to freeze them so that no leftovers go to waste!
How to Make
- In a large bowl, mix cold leftover masked potatoes, flour, egg, salt, and pepper. Depending on the consistency of the potatoes, you may need more flour to bind them. Start with ½ cup and then add ¼ cup at a time if needed. Mix until well combined.
- Place a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add about 1 tablespoon of butter and let melt. Place a scoop of the potato mixture in the skillet and flatten slightly. Repeat until the pan is full but not crowded and touching. Cook on one side for 5-7 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes until the same and warmed all the way through.
- Remove from the skillet and repeat with the rest of the mixture. Turn the heat down to medium-low if the skillet gets too hot and add more butter when needed.
- Enjoy hot and fresh with butter on top!
Variations and Substitutions
Have fun with some flavor combos too. If you want to switch up the taste of these savory pancakes, consider adding some of the following combinations to the batter mix before frying for a fun new twist!
- Loaded baked Potato: add bacon bites, shredded cheddar, and chives to the batter.
- Cheesy Goodness: add a combo of different cheeses you have in the fridge to use up what you have and add a cheesy element to this recipe.
More Recipes with Leftover Holiday Food
- Turkey and Rice Soup
- The Ultimate LeftoverTurkey Club
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Tetrazzini with Crun
More Holiday Side Dish Recipes
- Easy Broccoli Casserole
- Creamy Southern Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Southern Style Cream Corn
- Southern Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Southern Cornbread and Biscuit Dressing
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Cornflake Topping
- How to Fry a Turkey
- Homemade Yeast Rolls