Rustic Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale is hearty & full of flavor. Not your typical soup but will have you coming back for more time after time.
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage
- 1 Onion - diced
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 28 Ounces Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 28 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 32 Ounces Chicken Stock
- 4-5 Handfuls Kale
- 10 Ounces Cheese Tortellini
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- In a large pot set on medium, begin to cook and brown your Italian sausage - making sure to break up into small bites as you go.
- Once fully browned, remove from the pot onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Dice 1 onion and add to the pot. The remaining fat and bits from the sausage will be used to help cook and sauté the onions. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until soft and translucent. Add in the garlic that has been minced. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring the mixture up to a simmer or low boil.
- Add the sausage back into the pot. Start to add in the kale 1 handful at a time. Add in one handful and stir until wilted. Add in the next repeating the same steps until all the kale has been added and wilted. Add in the spices.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add in the tortellini. Place the lid back on and cook for 10 minutes or until the tortellini has cooked all the way through.
- Scoop into bowls and top with parmesan. Enjoy!
- Leftover soup can be enjoyed for up to 3-5 days.
How to Freeze
- To freeze this soup make the recipe in its entirety but leave out the tortellini. I find it best to vacuum seal soup so it can stay as fresh as possible. I use Vesta Precision Chamber Vacuum Sealer for soups and liquids (affiliate link - use the code SOUTHERNSOUL for 10% off any Vesta Precision purchase). This will be able to last in the freezer for up to 2 years.
- If you don't vacum seal, store in a freezer safe air tight container or zip top bag (make sure to lay the bag on it's side when freezing so it freezes flat). Keep in the fridge for up to 6 months.
- To reheat, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before. Place in a pot on medium heat on the stove and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, add in the tortellini and cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked and then enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 284
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 700.3 mg
- Fat: 12.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 33.5 mg
Keywords: Rustic Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale