Southern Baked Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole is a hearty dish perfect for serving as a side at any dinner party, holiday, or weeknight night at home! Made with a creamy roux sauce, you can use fresh or frozen broccoli - whatever you prefer! Baked for 30 minutes with a delicious cheesy top!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Milk
- 8 Ounces Cheddar Cheese - divided for half in the sauce and half on top
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 4 1/2 Cups Broccoli Florets (fresh or frozen) - 2-3 stalks fresh
- 1 1/2 Cups White Rice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Make the rice according to the package directions.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add butter and flour. Cook and whisk until the butter is melted and the flour taste is cooked out - about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in milk 1/2 cup at a time and whisk thoroughly. Continue to whisk until there are no lumps and the mixture becomes thick. Add in milk 1/2 cup at a time until gone continuing with this method. Reduce the heat to low.
- Once all the milk is added and starts to become thick, add cheese and spices. Stir until melted continually. Remove from the heat once smooth and creamy.
For Filling with Fresh Broccoli
- Chop broccoli florets into small bite-size pieces. Add to a pot of boiling water and blanch for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is bright green, remove from boiling water with a strainer into a large bowl filled with ice water. This will help the broccoli stop cooking.
- Remove from ice water to a large strainer after 2-5 minutes and let sit to remove as much water as possible then add to cheese mixture and stir together.
For Filling with Frozen Broccoli
- Steam the broccoli according to package directions.
- Once cooked, drain water from the bag and add to the cheese mixture, stirring to incorporate everything.
- Spread the cooked rice even;y over the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
- Pour the broccoli cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
Storing: Once the casserole has cooled down to room temperature, transfer any leftovers into an airtight container. Store this in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When ready to eat, reheat gently in a microwave or in the oven until it's warmed through, ensuring it retains its creamy consistency.
Freezing: To freeze the casserole for later use, assemble everything up until the point of baking. Wrap the dish tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, followed by a layer of foil to seal in freshness and prevent freezer burn. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. When you're ready to enjoy it, you can bake from frozen (covered with foil initially and removed for the last 15 minutes to brown the top) or thaw in the refrigerator 24 hours before baking as per the original instructions.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side - Casseroles
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 367.5 mg
- Fat: 14.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 10.5 g
- Cholesterol: 40.3 mg
Keywords: Broccoli Cheese and Rice Casserole, southern broccoli rice casserole recipe, southern broccoli cheese rice casserole