We are turning a fall classic into a mini version with these Apple Hand Pies! All the flavors you love packed into a bite-size pie you can happily hold!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 6 Tablespoons Lard or Shortening
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 5-10 Tablespoons Ice Water
- 3-4 Granny Smith Apples - peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar + more for topping
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Egg & White Sugar - for egg wash and sprinkling
- Peel and finely dice apples, making sure to dice as small as possible. Add to a bowl.
- Add in sugars, and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- Let sit while prepping the pie crust.
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt, cold butter, and lard.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut butter and lard into the flour until the mixture resembles small pea size shapes. If the butter and lard have gotten too warm in the process, pop into the freezer for 5 minutes to chill before continuing.
- Fill a large glass with water and ice. Using a tablespoon measure, spoon in 5-10 tablespoons of the ice water into the flour and butter mixture. Using a fork or spatula, mix well. You may need to add in more water if still floury and needed. You want the dough to just begin to come together. Do not add too much water.
- Sprinkle flour out onto the counter and spoon out dough on top. Roll around flour so that all sides are covered and bring together into a ball shape.
- Roll out with a rolling pin until about 1/4 - 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut out circles with a large cookie cutter. You will want the circles to be about 4" in diameter -roll out the circles a little more if needed to get to that size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a spoonful (about a tablespoon) of the apples into the center of the pie crust circle.
- Fold the circle over, creating a half-moon shape.
- Using a fork, crimp the edges to seal shut and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat until the apple mixture is all gone.
- Crack an egg in a bowl, add a splash of water, and whisk. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the apple hand pies and sprinkle the tops with a little white sugar.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and the pastry has cooked all the way through to the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
- Store-bought pie crust can be used as well if preferred. Buy the sheets of pie crust - not the kind already in a pie plate.
How to Make Ahead and Freeze
- Follow the recipe above and stop before brushing with egg wash and baking.
- Place all of the finished pies on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer. Freeze for about 30 minutes until they are all frozen and solid.
- Remove off the baking sheet and place in a freezer-safe zip-top bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To bake, remove from the freezer and place on a baking sheet. Brush with the eggs wash and sugar and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Pies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 115
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 98 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 10.7 mg
Keywords: Apple Hand Pies