Broccoli Casserole is a Thanksgiving tradition. But this broccoli casserole made without Velveeta skips the processed cheese! Make a luscious homemade cheese sauce instead! It is simple, delicious, and you'll never go back!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 - 3/4 Pound Cheese - Colby Jack or Cheddar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt *
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper *
- 1/4 Teaspoon Mustard Powder *
- 4 1/2 Cups Broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Sleeve Ritz Crackers
- 1/2 Stick Butter - melted
- In a large pot over medium heat, add butter and flour. Cook and whisk until butter is melted and the flour taste is cooked out - about 5 minutes.
- Add in milk 1/2 cup at a time and whisk thoroughly. Continue to whisk until there are no lumps and the mixture starts to become thick. Add in milk 1/2 cup at a time until gone continuing with this method.
- Once all the milk is added and is starting to become thick add in cheese. Stir until melted, making sure the bottom does not become scorched - you may need to turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Once all the cheese is melted, add in your spices and stir.
For Filling with Frozen Broccoli
- Steam the broccoli according to package directions.
- Once cooked, drain water from the bag and add to cheese mixture, stirring to incorporate everything.
For Filling with Fresh Broccoli
- Chop broccoli florets into small bite-size pieces. Add to a pot of boiling water and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is bright green, remove from boiling water with a strainer into a large bowl filled with ice water. This will help the broccoli stop cooking.
- Remove from ice water to a large strainer after 2-5 minutes and let sit to remove as much water as possible then add to cheese mixture and stir together.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter in a bowl.
- Crush one sleeve of Ritz crackers and add to melted butter. Stir until butter is mixed with crushed crackers.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- * Taste broccoli and cheese mixture to make sure the spices are right. Add more salt, pepper or mustard powder if needed.
- Pour cheese mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Pour crushed crackers over top and spread across evenly.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- This can be made ahead of time and frozen. Make completely up until the point of baking. Wrap tightly in several layers of plastic wrap then a layer of foil. Place in the freezer for up to a month. To cook - place in the oven frozen covered with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes, removing foil the last 15 minutes to brown the top and making sure the broccoli is cooked through and hot and bubbly in the center OR place frozen broccoli casserole in the refrigerator 24 hours prior to baking to thaw and bake as normal according to directions above.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Thanksgiving Side
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 298
- Sugar: 3.1 g
- Sodium: 269.9 mg
- Fat: 16.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 10.4 g
- Cholesterol: 44.2 mg
Keywords: Broccoli Casserole made without Velveeta