Caramelized onion and spinach quiche is the perfect breakfast and will be loved by all. Packed with sweet onions, swiss cheese, and all the perfect flavors in a flaky homemade pie crust. This will be on the regular rotation from now on.
For The Pie Crust
- 1 Homemade Pie Crust OR 1 Storebought/Premade Pie Crust
For The Caramelized Onions
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Butter - divided
- 3-5 Ounces Spinach
For The Egg Mixture
- 8 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Cup Swiss Cheese - grated
- Follow the directions for homemade pie crust if using.
- BLIND BAKE: for both store-bought and homemade, once your pie crust is on the pie plate, place a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper over the top, larger than the actual pie plate. Place pie weights or dried beans over top of the paper and spread evenly over the bottom of the shell, making sure to get all the way to the edges, corners, and sides. Place in the oven at 375 degrees for 15-16 minutes. Once finished, remove and let cool until the quiche mixture is ready. Remove the pie weights once cooled down a bit. Proceed with the recipe.
- In a large skillet, add in 1 tablespoon of butter and the onion, thinly sliced.
- Turn on medium-low and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often. Over the next 30 minutes, the onions will turn a caramel color. Make sure to keep an eye on them and do not turn the heat up. This can be done while the crust is blind baking.
- With about 5 minutes left, add in the spinach and another 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Cook until the spinach has wilted then remove from the heat.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add 8 eggs and beat with a fork until the yolks are broken.
- Add in the milk, salt, red pepper flakes, white pepper, and shredded swiss cheese. Mix well.
- Add in the caramelized onions and spinach. Mix until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour carefully into the blind-baked pie crust and place into the oven to bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the middle is set and doesn't jiggle anymore.
- Leftovers can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 316
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 134.5 mg
- Fat: 22.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.3 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
- Cholesterol: 234.4 mg
Keywords: Caramelized Onion and Spinach Quiche