Cast iron skillet cornbread is a southern staple and a must-have alongside any bowl of chili! Tender and savory with crunchy edges, you will quickly fall in love with this easy recipe!
- 2 Cups Martha White Self Rising Buttermilk Cornmeal Mix
- 1 1/3 Cups Buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1-2 Tablespoons Bacon Grease
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats. This is super important! You need the skillet to be smoking hot!
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together gently with a spatula.
- Once the oven is heated, remove the hot skillet from the oven. Add 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Let melt. Pour the cornbread mixture right over top in the hot skillet.
- Place back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy with chili, soup, butter, or honey butter!
- Keep leftovers in a ziptop bag for 2 days or store in the freezer to use in Southern Cornbread and Biscuit Dressing for Thanksgiving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 519.2 mg
- Fat: 11.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 27.8 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 29.3 mg
Keywords: Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread