Creamy southern mashed potatoes are one of the best comfort foods. Just potatoes, milk, butter, sour cream, and salt. Simple and delicious.
- 5 Pounds Idaho Potatoes
- 10 Tablespoons Butter + more for topping
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper - to taste
- Chives to garnish - optional
- Fill a large pot with water halfway up and heavily salt. Place on the stove on high heat and bring to a boil.
- Fill the sink with cold water. Peel the potatoes and place them in the cold water once peeled while working on the other. This will help prevent them from browning while you're working.
- Once the potatoes are peeled, dice each potato into small cubes. Place directly into the boiling water.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add in the butter and with a hand mixer mix for 1 minute.
- Add in the sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth and creamy making sure that there are no clumps left.
- Taste test and add more salt if needed. If too thick or "gluey" add more milk to help thin out and make more creamy.
- Add to a large bowl and top with another pad (tablespoon) of butter and serve!
- Make Mashed Potato Pancakes with any leftovers you may have!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 scoop
- Calories: 354
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 540.3 mg
- Fat: 23.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.1 g
- Fiber: 4.5 g
- Protein: 5.6 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: Creamy Southern Mashed Potatoes