Learn step-by-step how to make tender homemade biscuits that are perfect for strawberry shortcakes! Delicately sweet biscuits topped with ripe summer strawberries and fluffy homemade whipped cream - this is the perfect southern summertime dessert!
- 2 Pints of Strawberries (about 4 cups)- sliced
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 3 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Butter - cold and cubed
- 1 Cup Buttermilk - cold
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 4 Tablespoons Butter - melted
- Demerara Sugar
- 1 Recipe for Homemade Whipped Cream
- Slice strawberries thinly and add to a bowl along with sugar and mix.
- Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to marinate (and up to 8 hours before).
- Preheat oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Cut in cold butter. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter until the dough has pea-sized clumps in it and is crumbly.
- Add in wet ingredients. Pour in the cold buttermilk and lemon zest. Gently mix together with a spatula. The dough will look dry and crumbly - that is ok, you do not want to overmix the dough!
- Prep Dough. Place dough on a countertop and gently bring it together with your hands and a rolling pin in a round disk around about 1/2" high.
- Cutting biscuits. With a 2 1/2" round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut straight down into the dough and lift up. Place in a cast iron skillet that has been rubbed with shortening to grease. Repeat until all the dough has been used - being gentle to bring it together each time and not overwork the dough. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse demerara sugar.
- Baking biscuits Place the cast iron skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Make a batch of homemade whipped cream.
- Gently pull apart the biscuits in half. Spoon over the desired amount of strawberries and whipped cream. Enjoy!
- The strawberries can be made up to 24 hours in advance and kept covered in the fridge.
- The whipped cream can be made up to 5 days in advance covered tightly in the fridge until needed.
- Leftover biscuits can be stored in a zip-top bag for 3 days.
- To grease, the cast iron skillet put a little bit of shortening on a paper towel and wrap around the skillet until the bottom and sides are lightly covered.
To Make Ahead and Freeze
- Follow the recipe for the biscuits as directed. Cool completely. Place on a baking sheet and place in the freezer to flash freeze for 30 minutes. Put in a freezer-safe ziptop bag and seal airtight. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Place in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw before serving. Make the strawberries and whipped cream up to 24 hours before or on the day of planning to serve.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 2 hours:
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 206
- Sugar: 5.5 g
- Sodium: 234.7 mg
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.2 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Cholesterol: 27.1 mg
Keywords: Sweet and Tender Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits, Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits, shortcake biscuits