1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls are a quick way to get homemade dinner rolls on the table in 1 hour. Soft and fluffy, you're going to love these wheat dinner rolls!
Ok, let's be serious for 2 seconds. There is a heated debate always around this time of which the Thanksgiving side is everyone's favorite. I get it. It is a legitimate debate!
But can we have a moment for homemade rolls?! I mean who doesn't love grabbing a warm homemade dinner roll and slathering that delicate fluffy carb vessel with butter and sinking your teeth into it?!
EVERYONE LOVES HOMEMADE DINNER ROLLS! Everyone loves bread. Everyone loves bread and butter!
And since the Thanksgiving meal is a production in and of itself, adding making homemade bread may not be at the top of your list. And hey, Sister Shubert rolls ARE EVERYTHING! No shame. I get it and they are 100% delicious and perfect to use!
But if you're feeling a little adventurous this year, these 1 hour wheat dinner rolls will not only blow your socks off but are quick and easy to make
Did you hear me say 1 HOUR??
Yes, 1 hour for homemade wheat dinner rolls. You are just 1 hour away from everyone's favorite food to get that last bit of gravy, or eat with all the butter, or sneak a hand in the basket while walking by.
Trust me, these bad boys wont last long and at almost no extra work to you.
Ingredients Needed for 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls
- 1 Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 4 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Packet of Yeast (2 ¼ Teaspoons)
- 1 ½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ Cup White Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
How Do You Make Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls from Scratch?
- Warm milk, water, honey, and butter together to 110 degrees (this should be lukewarm NOT hot). This can be done in the microwave or on the stove. Add in yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add warmed milk mixture in a mixer and add in the flour. Mix with a dough hook for 5 minutes.
- Lightly flour the counter and turn out down onto the surface. Knead with your hands a couple of times and smooth into a smooth round ball.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal size pieces. Round them out into balls. Pinch the buttons shut and make sure the tops are smooth. Place in the greased baking dish.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.
What Brand of Whole Wheat Flour is the Best?
I personally have come to love King Arthur flours this year.
I use to only just get the off-brand or store brand flour not thinking anything about it, and then last year when my aunt made THE BEST dinner rolls at Thanksgiving, we found out she used King Arthur flour.
My mom bought some and started making staple bread recipes like - biscuits, pie crust, homemade bread, etc. And wouldn't you know it! It made such a huge difference!
How to Make 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls Ahead of Time if Needed
Want to make this recipe even a better one?!
You can make these ahead of time if needed. Just like with pumpkin pie, pecan pie, broccoli casserole, and so many other Thanksgiving staples. A lot of this can be prepped ahead leaving your actual Thanksgiving day stress free and easy!
If Making 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls the 1 Day Before
- Make and the recipe all the way up to rising (shape and form the dough into rolls and place in the pan). Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Once needed, bring out and set on the counter at room temp for 60 minutes to let rise. They should double in size and touch.
- Bake as normal.
Can I Freeze 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls?
Yes! It is so easy to freeze homemade dinner rolls. You can buy packages frozen dinners rolls at the grocery so why can't you do it at home?!
Oh wait, you can!
If Making 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls Further Out Than 1 Day Prior
- Shape and form the dough into rolls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place in the freezer and freeze until each roll is frozen solid.
- Place frozen dough balls in a freezer-safe ziptop bag and place bag in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Once needed, bring out and frozen rolls in a greased pan, wrap with a towel over top, and let rise and thaw for 4-5 hours in a warm place. The dough should double in size.
- Bake as normal.
Enjoy 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls with Kale Caesar Salad with Baked Salmon, Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin, Hot Bacon & Mustard Spinach Salad, or Sous Vide Flank Steak Salad with Herbed Vinaigrette Dressing if not around your Thanksgiving table.
More Thanksgiving Staple Recipes
- How to Make a Charcuterie Board
- Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole
- Southern Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Maple Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole
- Whipped Ricotta Sweet Potatoes
- Broccoli Casserole
I use the Nutrimill Artise Mixer for any bread making I do. I hands down think it's the best mixer for bread! It is powerful and sturdy and can handle thick bread dough so well!
**above is an afffiliate link**