Raise your hand if you love breakfast. All day. Everyday.
Yes! I see you breakfast fanatics! The lovers of pancakes and eggs for dinner. The person so knows there is no better time for a bowl of cereal than late at night. All of us breakfast for dinner a
ctually anytime of day lovers unite!
Behold, I have a new favorite for you! The most simple and healthy breakfast that can be made in under 10 minutes. Yes, you heard me right. This takes no time at all, full of protein, still holds the flavors of the classic and will be your new breakfast BFF. You are welcome.
This recipe could not be any easier. Bread, egg whites, milk, and some spices. I switched up some of the old classics to give a healthier spin. We always have a loaf of Trader Joes sprouted 7-grain bread in the freezer, the macros are fantastic! I sub out egg whites for 1 of the eggs and use a cashew milk instead of whole milk. You can add or change any of the ingredients you like or that you have on hand, this recipe is very customizable.
The ratio I like is 1 egg/egg white to 1 piece of bread. I mix the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and salt (sometimes I add a splash of vanilla for an added flavor kick) in a bowl and whisk until combined. Soak each piece of bread then toss in the skillet until cooked thoroughly all the way through. It takes a total of 10 minutes or less.
I like to eat mine with a cup of hot coffee or breakfast tea, fresh fruit and to dip a tiny corner in pure maple syrup (honey or your syrup preference can be used instead for a lower calorie option or honestly just eating plain is still completely delicious and what I do if I take it on the go). I sometimes drizzle plain non-fat Greek yogurt over the top for even a more protein packed breakfast.
This is quick enough for me to make on a busy weekday morning but fun enough for a lazy weekend brunch. There is just a little down home comfort feeling in french toast and now you can enjoy all those things in a lightened up way. Let me know how you top your protein french toast, I can’t wait to hear!
- 2 pieces of sprouted or Ezekiel bread (I prefer Trader Joe's Sprouted 7 Grain loaf)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white (or 3 tablespoons of liquid egg whites)
- 2 Tablespoons of unsweetened almond cashew milk (I prefer Almond Breeze)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray or butter, for cooking pan
- In a bowl combine egg, egg white, almond milk, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in egg and all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Soak 1 piece of bread in egg mixture while you heat a skillet over medium to medium-low heat.
- Once the pan is heated coat with cooking spray or a little butter and place the first piece in skillet.
- Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and middle is cooked through.
- Repeat with the second piece of bread.
- Enjoy with fresh berries, local honey, syrup, Greek yogurt or any topping you desire!
- (*toppings are not included in nutrtion information*)