Bowtie chicken pasta salad is the perfect dish to bring to any party or cookout. Quick and easy and a delicious zesty herb dressing to bring it all together!
With summer quickly approaching (YAY!), having easy delicious recipes on hand that feed a crowd is always a must. Dishes that can be brought to BBQs, pool parties, quickly thrown together for lunch, and something that everyone will love is always helpful - dishes like BLT Pasta Salad, 5 Ingredient Watermelon Orzo Salad, and Summer Orzo Salad. Bowtie chicken pasta salad is just that recipe!
Filling and hearty. Super easy. A yummy zesty summer dressing. And my favorite - bowtie pasta! What is not to love?!
- Bowtie Pasta
- Cooked Chicken
- Italian Salami
- Mozzarella Pearls
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Onion
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Clove
- Fresh Chives
- Dried Dill
- Red Pepper Flakes
Note about the chicken. You have a couple of different options for this recipe. You choose whichever one you want or is easiest for you!
- You can cook your own by roasting boneless skinless chicken breast in the oven at 350 for 20-25 or until cooked all the way through, seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Or this is a great way to use up any leftover chicken you may have.
- Or, use a rotisserie chicken. Shred and cube about 5-6 cups. Whatever is easiest you can do!
How to Make
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt liberally. Add in 1 pound of bowtie pasta and cook for 8 minutes (do not overcook). Once finished, drain, and add to a large bowl.
- Chop and cube-cooked chicken breast. Add to bowl.
- Cube salami and add to the bowl along with the mozzarella pearls, diced red pepper, and green onions.
- In a separate bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Pour dressing over pasta salad and toss, ensuring everything is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or place in the fridge until needed.
This can be served right away while still slightly warm, at room temp, or chilled. It is a super versatile recipe that will work great for whatever occasion you are serving this at.
A couple of pro tips to keep in mind with making bowtie chicken pasta salad.
ONE: toss this with the dressing while warm. The residual heat from the pasta will help the dressing melt into the nooks and crannies of every bite!
TWO: do not overcook the pasta! You don't want mushy pasta in pasta salad. My box called to cook the pasta for 11-12 minutes - I cooked for 8 minutes and it was perfect. You want to cook just to al dente with it still having a bit of a bite to it so it will hold up with all the other ingredients and dressing.
How to Prep in Advance
This is great to make in advance if needed. Make the recipe completely, wrap airtight, and store it in the fridge for 24 hours before needing to serve. Toss gently once more and serve chilled.
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftovers can be kept wrapped airtight in the fridge for 2 days.
Absolutely! You can make this with any gluten-free pasta you desire. Be aware not to overcook, as gluten-free pasta cooking times can be different. Also, the taste may be altered slightly depending on the brand and kind of GF pasta you use. But this can most certainly be adapted for any GF diet!
More Pasta Recipes
- Easy Greek Couscous Pasta Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Creamy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad