These Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Sliders are the perfect addition to your Derby party table! They incorporate all the big flavors on a traditional Kentucky Hot Brown but in sandwich form. Place big bets on this one, you are going to win over all your friends!
The Kentucky Hot Brown. One of the finer southern culinary traditions. If you have never indulged in a hot brown then you are truly missing out. Toasted bread topped with thick slices of turkey and bacon, juicy tomatoes, and smothered in a mornay sauce perfectly broiled till hot and bubbly.
Yes, you will want to jump in head first and swim in this bad boy.
I had been racking my brain for a couple of weeks trying to think of a Derby recipe that was new but played off the classic Kentucky favorites around this time of the year.
Derby pie....eh, it has been done a million ways a million times.
Mint Juleps.....eh, couldn't think of anything.
Hot browns....yes, but how??
Then I was cleaning out my recipe binder and saw the recipe for the ever famous and OH SO DELICIOUS ham & cheese sliders on Hawaiian buns and the light bulb went off!
Take that same "melt in your mouth I have never had a sandwich better than this" concept of the Hawaiian slider and marry it nicely alongside the hot brown!
Pack it full of turkey, bacon and tomatoes, and the sauce! Oh, the sauce! This is what truly sends it over the edge. Justin was in a food coma while I was testing these to get it just right and definitely not complaining about it.
Ingredients Needed for Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Sliders
- Fresh Parmesan
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Dijon Mustard
- Dehydrated Onion
- Bourbon - optional
- Hawaiian Rolls
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 1Parmesan Cheese
How to Make Kentucky Derby Hot Brown Sliders
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients for the butter mixture and place over medium-low heat. Let melt until needed.
- In a larger saucepan add in butter and flour over medium heat for the white sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the flour taste has been cooked out and the roux has begun. Slowly add in milk (cream or half and half can be used as well. I used whole milk for this recipe) ½ cup at a time and whisk until thick and combined. Whisk generously to make sure all clumps are out and that the mixture doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan. The mixture will eventually thicken.
- Once at a thick consistency, add in parmesan and stir until melted. Add in nutmeg. Then salt and pepper to taste.
- If it gets too thick add in more milk however you will want this mixture on the thicker side for this recipe. Think more a gravy consistency rather than Alfredo.
- In a skillet (or the oven) cook the bacon until crispy. Place on paper towel and let cool. Break into quartered pieces.
- Slice tomatoes into quarters and set aside.
To assemble sandwiches:
- Slice Hawaiian rolls in half and break each piece apart. Line the bottom of the rolls in a 9x13 dish.
- Place a small amount of mayo on the bottom of each roll. It doesn't take much, just enough to cover the bottom but you should be able to see the roll underneath - about a ½ teaspoon or so on each roll.
- Place 1 slice of turkey on each sandwich.
- Place 3 of bacon quarters on each sandwich.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes over all the sandwiches.
- Spoon a generous amount of white sauce over top each roll. 1-2 tablespoons for each roll. You will have leftover sauce (perfect for dipping sandwiches in!).
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over top (mozzarella or white cheddar will work as well).
- Place tops of rolls back on and brush each top with the butter mixture. Be generous with this as well - use most if not all of the mixture. Pour over the top if needed, just make sure each top is coated.
- Place foil over the top of the pan and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately and ENJOY!
How to Store Leftover Sliders?
These are best enjoyed hot and fresh, but if you have leftovers, store in the fridge covered tightly for a day.
Pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to warm them back up to enjoy!
Wow, your Kentucky Derby party guests with these sliders. All bets will be placed on you and you'll be the big winner of the day! Happy Derby week!!
More Delicious Southern Recipes to Bring to a Derby Party!
- Healthy Ranch Dip
- Come to the Table: How to Make a Charcuterie Board
- Tomato & Bacon Cream Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Green Onion Sausage Balls
- Classic Southern Deviled Eggs
- Southern Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Bourbon Pecan and Chocolate Slab Bars