Once you use sous vide to cook your steak, you will never cook it any other way. This recipe is a melt in your mouth drool-worthy sous vide steak that you will love!
I think I have professed my love of sous vide steak so many times that you may roll your eyes. BUT IN CASE YOU'RE NEW HERE! Using the sous vide to cook your steak is hands down the BEST and ONLY way to do so!! It will give you a melt in your mouth drool-worthy result EVERY SINGLE TIME!
In fact. I have not cooked a steak any other way for 3 years since I have had this sous vide.
And I don't plan to!
What is Sous Vide Cooking?
Sous vide is a method of cooking. Just like grilling, slow cooking, or air frying.
To “sous vide” something you need an immersion circulator. Which is a small tool (or appliance) that is placed into a large pot of water in which it heats the water up to a certain temperature, keeping it there for a specified amount of time. The food is then placed in the water bath – either vacuum-sealed, in a bag, or jars, to cook.
With more traditional ways of cooking, it is impossible to precisely control the exact temperature at which you are cooking. Which can lead to over or undercooking your food.
Not with the sous vide! You have complete and total control over the temperature AND time of which you cook something.
Leaving you with perfect results every single time!
So in short….
I like to explain to some that it’s like a crockpot, but for water and better. Find whatever temperature you want your item cooked to, seal it. place it in the water, and forget about it. It is incredible – so easy to use!
And the best part?! (well there are many…..)
EASY CLEAN UP! Just throw the bag away and you are done!
Why Use a Sous Vide for Cooking Steak?
Unlike other methods of cooking, there is no way for you to have complete and total control of the TEMPERATURE and TIME of what you are cooking.
With grilling, searing, etc - it is a guessing game when it comes to cooking your steak to a certain temperature.
And it is inconsistent and can be uneven.
BUT using the sous vide - you are cooking that steak at the exact temperature that you want for an exact amount of time.
Ensuring a perfect and even cook throughout. Every. Single. Time!
No guessing. No, over or undercooking. Just shear and udder perfection! Truly. You won't go back (or miss) any other method of cooking a steak.
Ingredients You Will Need
- 1 Pound Steak Cut of Your Choice (ex: flank, ribeye, fillet, strip, etc.)
- Salt & Pepper
- Butter and/or Olive Oil
- Fresh Herbs
- Flaked Sea Salt
How Do You Cook Steak Sous Vide?
- Preheat your water bath to 129° F (for medium-rare steak - refer to the chart for other times and temps).
- Season both sides of your steak liberally with salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Place in a vacuum seal bag and seal OR place in a gallon-sized ziptop bag and remove as much air as possible.
- Place in the preheated water and sous vide for 1 hour.
- Once finished, remove from the water and bag. Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat and place in 1-2 tablespoons of butter (or olive oil) in the hot skillet. Sear the steak on each side for 10-30 seconds. Careful to not overcook - this does not take long and why a hot pan is crucial.
- Remove and enjoy! Top with additional flaked sea salt and compound herbed butter if desired!
Times and Temperatures for Sous Vide Steak
If you prefer your steak another way other than medium rare - then this is a quick temperature guide for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you cannot. That is the beauty of sous vide cooking. However, you can sear the steak too long in the cast iron skillet and can quickly overcook that way.
To prevent that from happening, make sure your skillet is super hot, add in your oil, then just give a quick sear on each side for 10-30 seconds each.
There are many places to buy a sous vide.
My recommendation is to get the Imersa Elite from Vesta Precision. I have this one and love the bigger screen on it. (full disclosure – I am an affiliate with Vesta but would never promote anything I haven’t used in my own kitchen weekly and trust).
Use the code “SOUTHERNSOUL” for 10% off any Vesta product!
I also have an Anova one that is from Amazon. Little bit different design but is also a great option! *
More Sous Vide Recipes
- Sous Vide Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake
- Sous Vide Egg White Bites
- Sous Vdie Steak Gyros
- Sous Vide Garlic & Rosemary Olive Oil Infusion
- Sous Vide Maple Carrots
- Sous Vide Shrimp Cocktail