Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats is a classic treat with a sophisticated upgrade! All the flavors you remember from growing up turned up a couple notches with brown butter.
This Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe was originally posted on October 2, 2017. I have updated the pictures and some content for you.
Two words. Brown. Butter.
That is it. I could be done right here and would have forever changed your baking game with those two words.
Friends if you have never experienced the gift of brown butter you need to stop what you are doing right now and go make these. I mean butter is delicious all on its own, we know that, but stick it in a skillet to slowly melt to the point it starts turning brown and you have discovered a whole new dimension of good.
There is a depth of flavor that cannot be explained. Nutty, toasted, rich, aromatic-smell-up-your-whole-house kind of good. It may seem difficult or be intimidating to achieve, but with an extra 10ish minutes and some love, you will be blown away at the results.
How Do I Make Brown Butter?
- Add a stick (or two or three...however many you need) to a large wide skillet and place on the stove on medium heat. (side note - a light colored pan works best for this so you can see the color change better, but I don't have one and can manage with a dark bottom pan just fine).
- Let the butter melt until it starts to bubble and foam. This will take 3-5 minutes to get to this point.
- You'll want to keep a close eye on it from now on. Stir occasionally so you can see the bottom of the pan and color change. The butter will start to turn an amber color. This is when you know you're close.
- After another 3-5 minutes you will begin to notice the foam on the top turining an amber color, brown bits on the bottom and a nutty heavenly aroma come from the skillet. Once the butter has turned a caramel color it's time to remove from the heat and you're finished!
I have added brown butter to chocolate chip cookies (life changing), pound cake (so good), and numerous other baked goods. It adds a richness that you can't quite put your finger on if you don't know what it is. Adding it to these Rice Krispie Treats was a pretty iconic idea if I do say so myself.
I always forget just how easy they are to make. They make a ton to feed a crowd and no one can say no to them.
Now let's make some Rice Krispie Treats!
Once you have made your brown butter and removed from the heat; it's go time!
Add in your marshmallows, salt, and vanilla.
Press down in a pan.
Cut and enjoy.
Super simple and super delicious.
Elevating Rice Krispie Treats with Brown Butter may be the best thing you do this week! These are perfect to serve at any get together, fall party, Halloween, Christmas, Monday Night Bachelor parties. I mean....really, there isn't a bad occasion for them!
Want more Brown Butter recipes? Make sure to check out these too!
- No Chill Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Addicting Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Glaze
- Triple Berry Brown Butter Crisp
- Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole