Everyone loved a toaster strudel on the weekends growing up! We are making an easy homemade version of your childhood favorite that I know you are going to love!
Were you team pop tart or toaster strudel growing up? Specifically my fellow 80s and 90s babies out there? We had pop tarts stocked in our pantry growing up on the regular. And of course, 3 different flavors because we all couldn't like the same flavor lol (team strawberry with NO icing over here!).
But on special occasions when toaster strudels were on sale or on the weekends, these flaky pastries full of love and sugar were such a big treat for us! My brother, sister, and I would fight over which tiny icing packet had the most in it .... like they had different amounts haha. I can taste the nostalgia now - warm flaky pastry with a BOILING lava sweet center that I am pretty sure I still have tongue burns over. IYKYK
We are bringing a little bit of childhood happiness to our own kitchens today by making a super easy homemade toaster strudel recipe at home. And good news! You can make it whatever flavor you want and put however much icing on it you want! You are an adult now. There are no rules!
- Frozen Puff Pastry
- Your Favorite Jam
- Powdered Sugar
How to Make
IMPORTANT! Place your puff pastry in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw before starting this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Unwrap each sheet of puff pastry and gently roll it out into a 12x12 square on a lightly floured countertop.
- Evenly cut each large square into 6 squares that are 4x6" inches - making 3 complete strudels per sheet of pastry.
- Spoon out 2 tablespoons of the desired flavor of jam in the middle of 6 squares. Gently spread out across the pastry, leaving about ¼" around the edges.
- Place the other 6 squares on top of each square with jam.
- With a fork, gently crimp all 4 edges of each toaster strudel to seal.
- In a bowl, which together 1 egg and a splash of water. Brush across each strudel.
- Place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- While baking, which the icing ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Drizzle each toaster strudel with the desired amount of icing and enjoy warm!
Different Variations and Ideas
We all have our favorite flavors of toaster strudel we love. For this specific post, I had Costco's delicious raspberry jam on hand and it was perfect for this recipe, but have fun with it! Use whatever jam you like or have in your fridge. Here are a couple of fun ideas to try:
I also recommend using jams or preserves and not jelly for this recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Keep leftovers covered tightly in the fridge for 2-3 days. These are best made hot and fresh before enjoying.
These are best made right before eating.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Gooey Monkey Bread Muffins
- Cast Iron Buttermilk Biscuits
- Overnight Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Baked Pumpkin Donut Holes
- Caramelized Onion and Spinach Quiche
- Bacon and Cheddar Quiche
- Protein French Toast
- The Best Buttermilk Pancakes Ever!