Easy ham and swiss biscuit sandwiches are a childhood favorite of mind. Perfect for any tailgate, shower, or party when you need an appetizer! They are easy to make, taste delicious, and will be a hit with everyone!
Do you have those meals or foods that just instantly bring you back to your childhood? Like you can taste the memories and time is frozen in that food. These easy ham and swiss biscuits sandwiches are one of those foods for me.
This recipe was a friend of my mom's growing up and she and my mom would make these all the time. I LOVED them! I haven't had them in YEARS and just recently remembered them and knew they would be a great recipe to share with you.
These are so easy and perfect to serve at any wedding or bridal shower, tailgate or Superbowl, for lunch, or just anytime you need an appetizer for a party - which around here is all the time. Let me show you just how easy and delicious they are!
- Deli Ham - the original recipe calls for canned ham. However, my mom said that using just regular deli ham yields a much better flavor and she is right. Just ask for a pound of shaved ham from your local deli (don't get the lunch meat ham in the package). You will run it through the food processor several times to get a super finely minced texture - similar to canned ham - but a much better version.
- Butter - this and the mustard is what give the filling not only flavor but moisture. You may need to add a couple more tablespoons of each if the mixture looks a little dry to you. I have done this before, but not always. Just depends on the type of ham you have. Just FYI to go on taste and looks and not always exact measurements. #cooking
- Horseradish Mustard - this gives it such a kick of flavor and moisture you will love!
- Chopped Onions or Minced Onions - if using fresh onions, mince super fine or even grate the onion finely. You do not want chunks of raw garlic in this, but more of the onion flavor.
- Poppy Seeds
- Canned Flaky Biscuits
- Sliced Swiss Cheese
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees,
- Briefly run the shaved ham through a food processor for a couple of pulses until finely minced.
- In a large bowl, add the ham, butter, mustard, onion, and poppy seeds. Mix until well combined. If the mixture is a little dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of melted butter and mustard until more moisture is added in.
- Roll out 8 biscuits into 3-4" circles and place on a lined baking sheet with parchment paper (4 per sheet).
- Evenly distribute the ham mixture on the top of each biscuit.
- Top each biscuit with a slice of cheese.
- Roll out the other 8 biscuits to a 3" circle and place them on top of each sandwich. Sprinkle the top with more poppy seeds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Keep leftovers stored in the fridge for 2-3 days. Enjoy cold or pop in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to warm if desired.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Easy Skillet Chorizo Cheese Dip
- Sausage Ball Recipe
- Classic Southern Deviled Eggs
- Everything Bagel Bites Stuffed with Cream Cheese
- Goat Cheese Stuff Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Crunchy Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Poppers
- Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Dip