Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole is soon to be a favorite and holiday table staple. This southern casserole is everything you love about corn, cheese, and a subtle sweet flavor. Everyone will be coming back for seconds!
We are coming in hot today with another Thanksgiving side dish! Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole is all parts carb and cheese that you want on your plate this week.
My father-in-law makes a version of this every year and I can't get enough of it! And ironically enough - I don't like corn!
But there is something about this that I can't resist.
- all things cheesy - hello I am in love already
- part cornbread like part spoonbread like
- slightly sweet - which honestly I think is the part that gets me this most!
Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole is quick to make!
- Start by adding in all your dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl add in all the liquid ingredients and mix it all together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with half of the cheese - and mix until all the flour and cornmeal are well incorporated into everything.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes. Then take out, top with remaining cheese, and bake for another 30 minutes.
This is best enjoyed hot and fresh out of the oven - you will 100% be going back for seconds!
How to Freeze Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole to Make Ahead of Time
Making as much as you can ahead of time (did you see all my party tips I like to do this time of year? This is one of them) is the name of the game this time of year.
Good thing this corn casserole can be made weeks or even months in advance and waiting for Thanksgiving to arrive.
How to Prep the Day Before:
Make the casserole completely up until baking. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight or for 24 hours.
Bake as directed.
How to Prep and Freeze:
Follow the directions all the way up until putting in the oven. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap 3 times making sure it is airtight (make sure to label what it is on the outside!) Place in the freezer for up to 6 months or until needed.
To cook from frozen you can either
- Place in the fridge 24 hours before to begin to thaw and cook as directed below.
- Place straight into the oven from the freezer baking for 70-90 minutes. If the cheese is beginning to brown on top but not cooked through all the way, loosely wrap a piece a foil overtop until hot and cooked all the way through.
Either way, you decide to make it, you won't be disappointed with this Southern Cheesy Corn Casserole!
Happy Thanksgiving - from our table to yours!
Need more Thanksgiving Side dishes? Look no further!
- Sous Vide Maple Carrots
- Creamy Southern Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls
- Southern Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Green Beans
- Maple Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Broccoli Casserole Made without Velveeta
- Brown Butter Sweet Potato Casserole
- Whipped Ricotta Sweet Potatoes
- Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
- Make-Ahead Stuffing