Strawberry Spinach Salad
Disclosure. Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, I may receive compensation. This compensation comes at no additional cost to you, and as always I only recommend products I trust!
If I have said this once I have said it 100 times. We live off spinach and spinach salads. If you have been over to our home for dinner you have been served this salad. If you have seen me eating at the gym in between clients, at track meets, or in my car you have seen me eating this salad. I never get tired of it and it is the easiest thing in the world to make!
You will always find spinach in our refrigerator. Always. I use it for everything- eggs, smoothies, salads, marinara sauce, casseroles or bakes I make up. Anything and everything you can add a veggie so I am usually adding spinach. So many of these things you add it to (like smoothies and sauces) you cannot really taste the spinach because of the other flavors. It is great (even though I do like the taste). I love knowing I am getting another full serving of veggies without practically trying. This salad is something we always have on hand to make. Salads aren't boring or at least they sure don't have to be! Justin and I usually don't even use salad dressing because of everything we load in it just don't need it (even though this dressing included is the bomb! Thank you Shauna Niequist for the recipe!).
Here are my tips for building a never-boring-flavor-exploding-salad every time:
- Spinach or kale. I usually go spinach, but a kale salad is just as yummy! (One of my favorite Kale salads here!)
- Fruit - strawberries are my go to. Apples, blueberries and mandarin oranges are my next choices. Dried cranberries are a great option too. Just anything slightly sweet.
- Veggies - red onion is used in this recipe. Caramelized onions are incredible, diced red peppers, roasted asparagus, diced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers are on my rotation list always.
- Nuts - pecans, walnuts, almonds, pepitas, any of them! Chop and throw them in a skillet to toast slightly for even more flavor.
- Cheese - goat cheese and feta are my favorites to add. You cannot go wrong with the creamy texture of both. Parmesan and fresh mozzarella are my next go-to's. Really you can never go wrong with cheese so just use your favorite!
- Extras - roasted chickpeas (good-bye croutons!) and avocado (always a must!). Banana peppers and sliced olives add an incredible salty element. You can always toss in baked salmon, fresh shrimp or grilled chicken to add more protein and bulk.
- Dressing - None. Doesn't really needs it because of all the yummy things you added. But if you insist, then make the Maple Balsamic dressing below will be you're new BFF and you will never buy salad dressing from the store again!
Say goodbye to boring salads and enjoy a bowl full of fresh fruits and veggies by following my simple building guide above. Enjoy for lunches, dinners, make for guests and dinner parties and take all the guesswork out of what to bring. Strawberry Spinach Salad is always a favorite! Let me know some of your favorite salad combos in the comments.
Be sure to watch the video below because if anyone could talk 20 minutes about making salads it would be me! 🙂
Heather Bilyeu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.