This Whole Wheat Rosemary No-Knead Bread will change your life. Say so long to bread making be intimidating and hello to freshly baked bread in a snap!
Gone are the days where bread making is intimidating and dumbfounding! I have found the solution and answer to all bread-making prayers out there! You will be making this Whole Wheat Rosemary No-Knead Bread on a weekly basis!
If you have ever had homemade bread you know there is nothing quite like it. If you have made homemade bread you know that it is a labor of love. Well worth it but not a weeknight recipe you can whip up when you have a craving.
It takes planning, patience, and it is a pretty decent shoulder workout. But I thought I would give it a go just to see what the hype was about and almost fell on the floor when it actually worked!
Tips for Making the BEST Whole Wheat Rosemary No-Knead Bread
- You can make this in a large bowl and mix by hand with a wooden spoon, no problem. I did that the first time. Then I switched and just dumped everything into my Kitchen Aide stand mixer with a dough hook and let it do its thing. It is less work and easier in my opinion, but again, if you do not have a stand mixer a large bowl and wooden spoon are just fine.
- I us to not have a dutch oven, which preferred for this recipe. You will need to cover the bread while baking for the first half, then uncover, so the dutch oven lid comes in handy. If you don't have a Dutch oven, just used a deep dish cast iron skillet. Any oven-proof baking dish that has tall sides will work. Doesn't even have to be round.
- I have let this rise from anywhere from 2 hours to 8 hours to overnight. 2 hours was good, especially if you are in a hurry. It doesn't get super tall, but as long as it doubles in size you will be fine. I liked the 8-hour rise the best but it will need to bake slightly longer due to the height difference. The easiest was overnight. I made the dough at 7 pm while putting together dinner, let it rise for 2 hours on the counter, put in the refrigerator overnight before I went to bed, took out and set on counter while the oven heated that morning when I was making coffee and then baked as normal. Again with the overnight rise, I baked about 10 minutes longer like the 8-hour rise. So any time frame you have will work.
- My favorite flavor combo was the 2 cups all-purpose flour and 3 cups whole wheat flour. I have done all purpose flour and it was delicious but I love the hearty texture of the whole wheat better. Whatever your preference you won't go wrong; use what you have!
That is pretty much it. It couldn't be more simple and you can't mess this up.
Toss all ingredients in a bowl, mix, place in deep dish, cover and let rise, bake and enjoy! No kneading, no letting rise two times, no sore arms, nothing. I promise you, give this a try and you will be just as shocked as me (plus you will feel like a real kitchen rockstar for making homemade bread!).
I have made a loaf almost every week for us to eat on....loaded open-faced egg sandwiches have been my jam!
How to Store Leftover No-Knead Bread
If you have any leftovers, place in a zip top bag sealed tight and place in the fridge for up to a week.
How to Freeze Whole Wheat Rosemary No-Knead Bread
To freeze no knead bread, wrap tightly in plastic wrap 3 times then place inside a freezer safe zip top bag and place in the freezer for up to 4 months.
You can also seal with a vacuum sealer and store in the freezer for 2 years. I have switched to almost completely vacuum sealing everything for my freezer using Vesta Precisions Vac n' Seal. Use code SOUTHERNSOUL for 10% off your order!
More Bread and Easy Recipes I Know You Will Love!
- The BEST Potato Rolls
- Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Easy Homemade Monkey Bread
- 1 Hour Wheat Dinner Rolls
This recipe was inspired and adapted from Half Baked Harvest.Print