Zesty Italian Antipasto Salad is a great appetizer to have at any gathering. Packed full of all kinds of things with a delicious zesty dressing.
At the beginning of 2022, my mom and I took a trip up to Cincinnati for a day of shopping. The shopping day ended up being a bust so we stopped by Jungle Jims because she had never been.
And if you haven't either or don't know what I am talking about - OH MAN! You are missing out! It is this insanely large grocery store in the Cincinnati area that has every single kind of food you can imagine. There is an isle for every country, a full section of hot sauce, a regular "American" section, so much wine and cheese, the best produce section - TRULY EVERYTHING! If you are close to one you have to go at some point! And allot several hours to look around - it is like the Ikea of grocery stores!
We had more success at the grocery store shopping than we did for clothes!
We were starving and had planned on getting lunch on the way home, but mom had the idea to get some things there and have a little picnic lunch in the car.
So we grabbed some marinated mozzarella, macaroons, a loaf of jalapeno cheddar bread, some fruit, and this zesty Italian antipasto salad from the deli area.
And oh my goodness, it felt like some of the best food we had ever eaten! We were tired and hungry which contributed to it, but everything was so so good. And it was just so fun!
That salad is what inspired this recipe and the marinated mozzarella one too. They were so full of flavor and I couldn't quit eating them. I knew I had to recreate them when I got home.
This is the perfect appetizer for any dinner party, a great addition to a charcuterie board, or perfect for car picnics everywhere!
- Calabrese Salame
- Italian Dry Salami
- Provolone Cheese
- Fresh Mozzarella Balls
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Red Onion
- Pepperoncini Peppers
- Olive Oil
- Freshly Cracked Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
Do not let the long ingredient list run you off. This is a super easy recipe to toss together. The hardest part is dicing and chopping the meats, cheese's, and veggies!
- Dice the salamis into small cubes or into fourths if in a slice. Add to a large serving bowl.
- Cut the provolone to around the same size as the diced salami and add it along with the mozzarella balls into the bowl.
- Add the olives, red peppers, red onion, and pepperoncini plus juice to the bowl as well.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the bowl and toss to coat everything.
- Place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to marinade.
- Toss once again before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Place any leftovers covered tightly in the fridge.
Keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.
I think this is best made the day of serving. You will need to get the marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes but can keep it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. I think this yields the best flavor making it the day you need it. It helps keep all the ingredients nice, fresh, and crisp.
More Salad & Appetizer Recipes
- Peach and Tomato Caprese Salad
- Hot Bacon & Mustard Spinach Salad
- Greek Salad with Roasted Chicken
- Everything Bagel Bites Stuffed with Cream Cheese
- Easy Marinated Mozzarella Balls
- Classic Southern Deviled Eggs