Easy marinated mozzarella balls are the perfect appetizer or addition to any charcuterie board. Fresh ingredients, super quick to make, and a crowd favorite always!
We love appetizers around here. I am actually pretty sure the appetizer category at Fueling a Southern Soul is the largest one. I can't help myself! I love appetizers!
And I feel like we all need them. For either a little snack before dinner parties, to take over to friends and family for all the occasions, tailgates, showers, and just a Friday night in at home.
You can never have too many!
And it is even better when the recipes are EASY and VERSATILE, and that is just what these mozzarella balls marinated in olive oil are.
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Chives
- Italian Seasoning
- Mozzarella Balls or Pearls
PRO TIP: fresh mozzarella balls can usually be found in the deli section of your grocery store. It can be found in the specialty cheese section at times. Sometimes they come in a bigger pack like THIS or in small snack packs like THIS. If you can't find the little pearls or balls, you can use fresh mozzarella slices (like this) and it will work just fine. You might have to place in a bigger mason jar or a different container if you do so but they will work. Just make sure you are using FRESH mozzarella and not the rectangle kind found by the shredded and sliced cheese. It is not the same and won't yield as good of a result and flavor. The ounce quantity may differ depending on which kind you use as well - pearls vs. small snacking balls. Use anywhere from 16-20 ounces.
Easy marinated mozzarella balls are super simple and quick to make in less than 5 minutes to get together.
- In a mason jar or large sealable container, add the olive oil, finely grated garlic clove (using a Microplane grater), lemon juice, and all the spices. Mix well with a whisk or fork.
- Add your fresh mozzarella balls to the jar. Seal and gently shake to coat all of the cheese.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove and serve chilled or at room temperature.
You can serve these chilled right out of the fridge or set out for 20 minutes before serving to be a little bit more room temp.
How to Serve
You have a couple of different options and ways to serve.
- Just by themselves! Keep in the jar or place in a bowl with some toothpicks and let everyone help themselves to the snack!
- Serve alongside some baguette slices so that you can either place them on top of the bread and or use the bread to get some of that marinated olive oil goodness too. Because - YUM!
- This will make a GREAT addition or a charcuterie board. Everyone will love it!
- Toss them on top of a salad for a fun twist on a cheese element.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since olive oil is a key player in this recipe, you want to make sure you are using a high-quality extra virgin olive oil. Personally, I use Queen Creek Olive Mill's delicate extra virgin olive oil. Use whatever you lie, I just highly recommend it is 100% extra virgin olive oil.
Yes, you can. If you cannot find the little fresh mozzarella pearls or balls, you can use the slices. Just make sure it is fresh mozzarella and not the process rectangle kind that is by the shredded and sliced cheese section.
Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
You can keep it in the fridge sealed tight for up to 2 weeks.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Whipped Feta Dip with Honey and Pistachios
- Easy Skillet Chorizo Cheese Dip
- Sausage Ball Recipe
- Classic Southern Deviled Eggs
- Easy Antipasto Skewers
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Everything Bagel Bites Stuffed with Cream Cheese
- Scallion Pancakes