Southern pimento cheese dip is a traditional southern appetizer that is made with only 6 ingredients, and some spices, and can be made up in just 10 minutes. This creamy and tangy spread, made with shredded cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and diced pimentos, is best served cold. Perfect to serve at any dinner party or shower!
Is there anything more Southern than pimento cheese? Well, recipes like deviled eggs, spoon bread, mashed potatoes, and cobbler are pretty Southern too but pimento cheese dip is a staple in all Southern households and cuisines.
Go to any bridal shower, wedding shower, or holiday get-together in the south and they will 100% have pimento cheese present. Whether in dip form or tucked inbetween white bread for little tea sandwiches, this recipe is a staple in all southern families.
And for good reasons. It is so easy to make with only 6 ingredients and can be whipped up in only 10 minutes! Like Kentucky beer cheese, this dip is best served cold with French bread or crackers. Let me show you how to make this easy recipe step by step and also some very important tips and ingredients not to skip out on that are crucial for both the texture and taste of the recipe!
There are only 6 ingredients needed in this pimento cheese spread recipe, but don't skimp on any of them (or the steps). They are crucial for the flavor and texture outcome.
- Pecans - buy a bag of pre-chopped pecans, it will save you some extra prep time!
- Extra Sharp Cheddar - it is important to get both types of cheddar, extra sharp and sharp! Do not skip this step, it is important for the flavor. Buy blocks of cheese and grate yourself - do not buy pre-shredded cheese!
- Sharp Cheddar
- Mayo - use a high-quality mayonnaise like Duke's.
- Jarred Pimentos - drain before using.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Grated Onion - use a Microplane or a fine side of the cheese grater to grate a fresh yellow onion.
- Cayenne Pepper - a pinch for some flavor and heat.
This only takes 10 minutes to make but there are some very important steps not to skip out on. Toasting the pecans, different sizes to shred the cheese, and the freshly grated onion are super important for this recipe.
- STEP ONE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the chopped pecans on a small baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove once the time is up.
- STEP TWO: While the pecans are toasting, grate the cheese. Grate the extra sharp cheddar cheese on the fine side of a cheese grater. Grate the sharp cheddar cheese on the large side of the grater. Do not skip. this step - it is important to grate the 2 different sizes - it is crucial for the texture of this recipe.
- STEP THREE: In a large bowl, add the mayo, pimentos, Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, and cayenne pepper. Stir together. (use a microplane or a fine grater to grate a fresh onion)
- STEP FOUR: Add toasted pecans and grated cheese to the bowl. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- STEP FIVE: Place in a serving bowl and serve with French bread, crackers, celery, or fresh veggies.
Recipe Pro Tips
These are a couple of helpful tips to make this southern pimento cheese super easy to make and turn out every time.
- A multi-sided cheese grater is very helpful for this recipe. One like this one is perfect and has all the sides you will need for the cheese and onion. Use the large and small sides for grating the 2 kinds of cheese and the Microplane side for the onion.
- Grate your own cheese. Do not buy bagged pre-shredded cheese - the flavor and texture will not be the same. It is super important to buy the cheddar in blocks and grate yourself - do this while the pecans are toasting.
- Do not use any other flavor of the cheese. The extra sharp and sharp cheddar is the perfect combination for the best pimento cheese dip flavor.
- Do not skip toasting the pecans. It is important for the flavor of this recipe.
- Serve with French bread sliced into small toast bites, crackers like butter or water crackers, pretzel thins, or fresh veggies like celery, bell peppers, or carrots.
DISCLOSURE. SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU CLICK ON A PRODUCT LINK, I MAY RECEIVE COMPENSATION. THIS COMPENSATION COMES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, AND AS ALWAYS I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I TRUST! HEATHER BILYEU IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR SITES TO EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM.