Elevate your appetizer game with these Quick Homemade Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls! A delightful twist on the classic Southern favorite, these savory bites are perfect for any occasion, from brunches to tailgates and holiday parties. Made with a combination of Bisquick, pork sausage, cheddar cheese, and diced pimentos and baked in the oven for 25 minutes.
Sausage balls are a Southern staple, adored for their bite-sized, savory perfection. There is not one Southern bridal or baby shower that hasn't included them - not one! They are a must and staple at such special gatherings.
Today we are giving them an exciting upgrade inspired by the flavors of pimento cheese! Pimento cheese spread is known for its creamy cheesy texture and tangy pimento peppers with bold flavors perfect for making small finger sandwiches out of or serving as a dip.
With just a few simple steps, you'll have a batch of these bite-sized appetizers ready to enjoy. All you need to do is stir together Bisquick baking mix, pork sausage, grated cheddar cheese, milk, diced pimentos, Worcestershire sauce, and a pinch of cayenne pepper and onion powder. Form the mixture into 1-inch balls, bake until golden brown for 25 minutes, and that's it!
Whether you're hosting a bridal or baby shower, gearing up for game day, or planning a holiday party, these sausage balls with pimento cheese are your go-to appetizer. Serve them warm out of the oven, at room temperature, or even chilled, and watch them disappear in no time. And the best part? You can prepare them ahead, making party planning a breeze!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bisquick Baking Mix - Forms the base of the sausage balls, providing the necessary structure and leavening for a light and fluffy texture.
- Pork Sausage - use your favorite brand - I usually use Purnell's medium breakfast sausage.
- Cheddar Cheese - use a block of cheese and grate yourself. It is worth the 2 extra minutes it takes for a better flavor and texture payout.
- Milk - whole milk is recommended.
- Diced Pimentos
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Cayenne Pepper
- Onion Powder
How To Make Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls
Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Mix the dough: Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl. Using your hands is best to fully mix everything since it is a heavy and thick dough. You can also place it in a stand mixer and mix it that way.
Scoop and bake: Scoop out into 1-inch balls using a cookie scoop and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top. Let cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
PRO TIP: disposable kitchen gloves* are a must in my kitchen - I use them for everything! They aren't pretty (and definitely not for food photos and videos) but it makes it way less messy. I like to glove up and use my hands to mix this dough - it's WAY easier than using a spoon or spatula!
- Ensure that your ingredients, particularly the sausage, cheese, and milk, are cold. Cold ingredients make it easier to mix the dough and maintain a desirable texture.
- Grate your cheddar cheese from a block rather than using pre-shredded cheese. Freshly grated cheese melts better and blends seamlessly into the dough.
- Use a cookie scoop or your hands to create evenly sized 1-inch balls. This ensures that they cook uniformly, preventing some from being undercooked or overcooked.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking and make cleanup a breeze.
- Keep an eye on the sausage balls as they bake. They're ready when they turn golden brown on top, which typically takes about 20-25 minutes.
- Allow the sausage balls to cool for a few minutes after removing them from the oven. This helps them set up and makes them easier to handle.
Storing & Freezing
Storage: Store any leftover sausage balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Enjoy them cold or pop them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm back up.
Freezing: Make fully according to directions and let cool completely. Place in a freezer-safe zip-top bag and freeze for up to 6 months. Place in the fridge 24 hours prior to the need to thaw completely. Serve on a platter and bring to room temperature on the counter 1 hour before serving.Print
These sausage balls are perfect for making in advance. Once fully baked, you can store them in the fridge for up to three days. Remove about 30 minutes prior to serving to allow to come to room temp, or gently warm in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10-20 minutes or until they're warm and ready to serve.
Yes, you can freeze uncooked sausage balls. After forming them into balls, place them on a baking sheet and freeze them until solid. Then transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. When you're ready to bake, there's no need to thaw; simply place them on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes until they're golden brown and cooked through.
To prevent sticking, line your baking sheet with parchment paper before placing the sausage balls on it. This not only prevents sticking but also makes cleanup a breeze.
More Southern Party Appetizers
- 10 Minute Pimento Cheese Sandwiches
- 10 minute Kentucky Beer Cheese Dip
- Flaky Little Smokies Pigs in a Blanket
- 10 Minute Southern Style Pimento Cheese Dip and Spread
DISCLOSURE. SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU CLICK ON A PRODUCT LINK, I MAY RECEIVE COMPENSATION. THIS COMPENSATION COMES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, AND AS ALWAYS I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I TRUST! HEATHER BILYEU IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR SITES TO EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM.