Discover the charm of Southern cuisine with our quick homemade 10 Minute Southern Style Pimento Cheese Sandwiches. Whether you're serving them at a special occasion like a bridal shower, or as a hearty snack, this appetizer staple will be a hit. Made with white bread (no crust please!) and homemade pimento cheese - this only takes 10 minutes to prepare!
Pimento cheese is a classic Southern staple that has been enjoyed all over the world. It is a simple yet flavorful spread made from a blend of sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and diced pimentos. Over the years, it has become an iconic dish for its versatility and the comfort it brings to every table, especially when used as a spread on sandwiches!
If you have been to a bridal shower south of the Mason-Dixon line then you have had a little pimento cheese finger sandwiches as a part of the spread. There is no better way to dress up a cheese dip than to put it in between soft white bread, cut the crust off, slice it on the diagonal, and serve as a fancy app.
Making quick homemade pimento cheese sandwiches couldn't be easier. Start by preparing a batch of Southern-Style Pimento Cheese Dip and Spread, which will only take an additional 10 minutes if you decide to make it from scratch. Then, it's just a matter of spreading it on white bread and assembling the sandwiches...anyone can do it!
These sandwiches are perfect for a variety of occasions, from weddings and baby showers to holiday parties and picnics. Not only are they quick and easy to make, but they can also be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve them. Plus, their flavor and elegant appearance make them a crowd-pleaser that can be made with lots of flavor and little effort!
- This recipe is a homage to a beloved Southern classic, giving you the authentic taste of the South in every bite.
- The preparation is incredibly straightforward and quick, making it perfect for those spontaneous get-togethers or last-minute additions to your party menu.
- These sandwiches can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator, saving you stress on the day of your event.
- The combination of sharp cheddar, creamy mayonnaise, crunchy pecans and tangy pimentos wrapped up in soft white bread is irresistibly delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- White Bread - You any brand of white bread that you like - just make sure it is the old-school traditional soft sandwich-style bread. I used Sara Lee brand in this recipe.
- Southern-Style Pimento Cheese Dip and Spread - the star of the show! I highly recommend making the homemade version - it only takes 10 minutes and is one of the best recipes on FSS in my opinion. But you could always use store-bought if you need or prefer.
PRO TIP: You will need a serrated bread knife* when preparing these sandwiches. This will make it super easy to trim the crusts off and slice down the middle without squishing the bread.
How To Make Pimento Cheese Sandwiches On White Bread
Arrange the bread: Open the loaf of bread and lay out 6 slices.
Spread the cheese on: Spoon out about ⅓ cup of pimento cheese spread on top. Spread out evenly, making sure it gets all the way to each edge. Place the other slice of bread on top. Repeat until you have 6 sandwiches made.
Cut the crust: With s serrated bread knife, gently cut off the crust on all 4 sides - making sure no brown edges remain and the sandwich is a small square.
Slice in half: Gently slice each sandwich on the diagonal down the middle, giving you two triangle halves. Repeat with other sandwiches. You will have 12 triangle sandwiches. Place on a serving platter and enjoy!
To note: I put on a generous amount of pimento cheese in each sandwich. If you would like less, put about ¼ of a cup of pimento cheese on each - this will yield a thinner sandwich and will give you more - around 14/16 triangles.
- For the best flavor, use high-quality extra sharp AND sharp cheddar cheese, as it will give the pimento cheese spread a richer taste. Using both cheeses is key in the homemade version.
- When spreading the pimento cheese onto the bread, make sure to evenly cover the entire surface of the bread, right up to the edges, to ensure every bite is filled with flavor.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut off the crusts and to slice the sandwiches, as it will make cleaner cuts without squashing the bread.
- Be careful not to overfill the sandwiches; otherwise, the filling will ooze out when you cut them.
- If you like a bit of heat, add some diced jalapeños or a dash of hot sauce to the pimento cheese mixture.
- Add some finely chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, or dill to the pimento cheese for a fresh twist.
- Add some crispy bacon bits or thinly sliced ham to the sandwiches for a meaty variation.
Making ahead of time: If you have made them ahead of time, simply wrap the sandwiches tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before serving. This will keep them fresh and prevent them from drying out.
Leftovers: If you have any leftover sandwiches after your event, they can be kept in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for 2-3 days. Freezing is not recommended.
Yes, you can use store-bought pimento cheese spread if you are short on time or prefer the convenience. However, we highly recommend making it from scratch for a more authentic and homemade flavor.
Yes, you can use any type of bread you prefer. However, we recommend using fresh white bread as it provides a soft and slightly sweet contrast to the tangy pimento cheese and what is traditionally used.
For the freshest results, these sandwiches can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Just make sure to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them.
More Easy Southern Appetizers
- Quick and Easy Kentucky Benedictine Finger Sandwiches
- Canned Biscuits, Ham & Swiss Cheese Sandwiches
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip In A Bread Bowl
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip Sliders
DISCLOSURE. SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU CLICK ON A PRODUCT LINK, I MAY RECEIVE COMPENSATION. THIS COMPENSATION COMES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, AND AS ALWAYS I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I TRUST! HEATHER BILYEU IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR SITES TO EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM.