Homemade quiche is a terrific savory breakfast option. It's also a dish that's easy for a home cook to prepare successfully, following a few simple steps to avoid a soggy bottom. Follow this recipe tutorial at home to bake a bacon-egg-cheddar cheese quiche with a perfectly crisp crust, thanks to blind baking.
If you are looking for Southern-style ideas for breakfast, quiche is the answer! I am definitely a savory breakfast and brunch type of person. I always gravitate to more eggy dishes instead of sweet ones (....although put a homemade cinnamon roll in front of me and I will gladly partake!), and a classic bacon quiche recipe is the perfect recipe and option for my savory breakfast cravings!
If you open my freezer you will ALWAYS find a frozen southern pie and quiche crust just waiting to be used (read more down below about how easy it is to prep a homemade pie crust ahead of time for this recipe). We rotate between some of our favorite flavors like Creamy Chiles Rellenoes Quiche and Caramelized Onion and Spinach Quiche and bacon and cheddar on a regular basis.
Let me help walk you through step by step of a quiche crust recipe (it isn't as hard as you think!) and how easy the filling is! With all kinds of tips, make-ahead instructions, and different substitutions.
First Step - Blind Baking a Pie Crust
Before we start making quiche, we need a crust to put it in!
And while you absolutely can use a store-bought crust....a homemade one is 10x better!
Regardless if you use store-bought or homemade, you will need to blind-bake it before you fill it with egg filling.
What does blind baking a pie crust mean?
Blind baking a pie crust is taking an unbaked pie shell and baking for a set amount of time BEFORE putting in the filling and baking according to the recipe. This helps ensure that the bottom of the crust gets fully baked.
Since quiche is an egg-based liquid filling, you need to blind-bake your crust FIRST to ensure the bottom of the crust gets baked fully (same with any custard or liquid filling-based pies such as pumpkin and pecan). If you were to pour the filling straight into an unbaked pie crust and bake, the bottom would never fully bake. Aka - it would have a soggy bottom and still a raw crust.
How Do I Blind Bake a Crust?
- If a blind or partial bake is needed, pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place wax or parchment paper over the pie crust on the pie plate. Pour in baking beans or pie weights and evenly distribute around the shell.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Pick up the edges of the wax or parchment paper and pour the beans into a mason jar. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
Pro tip: You will need to use pie weights to ensure an even bake on the bottom without any air bubbles forming. You can get something like THIS off Amazon or better yet, just buy a bag of $1.50 dried pinto beans from Walmart and designate them to be your "baking beans" used only for this recipe (my mom and I have ours stored in a mason jar).
You just need a couple of ingredients for this egg quiche recipe filling.
- Pie Crust
- Salt & Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
Once you have blind bake the crust, follow these simple steps to get the perfect bacon quiche recipe.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add a ½ pound of bacon that you have cut into bits. Cook until crispy for about 10 minutes. Remove and lay on a plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- Grate the cheese. It is better to grate your own cheese than use pre-shredded.
- In a large bowl, add 8 eggs and beat with a fork until the yolks are broken.
- Add in the milk, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add in the bacon and cheese. Mix well.
- Pour carefully into the blind-baked pie crust and place into the oven to bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees or until the middle is set and doesn't jiggle anymore.
- Remove and let cool for 10-20 minutes, slice, and enjoy!
Can You Make a Quiche Ahead of Tieme?
Quiche is a great dish to make ahead of time! Whether you want to eat on it for breakfast throughout the week like us or prep for brunch or shower, it's always a great dish to make in advance!
Make ahead tips - to make the day before serving
- Prep and bake according to directions. Cool and place covered in the fridge for 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove it from the fridge. This can be served cold, at room temp, or if you would like it warm - place it in a 200-degree oven for about 10-20 minutes until gently warmed back up!
See how to make a homemade pie crust recipe for the many different ways to make a pie crust in advance!
Frequently Asked Questions
350 degrees farenheight for 45 minutes or until the middle is just set and doesnt jiggle anymore.
Yes! You need to partially prebake your crust for quiche so that the bottom of the crust fully cooks. You will use a method called "blind baking" for this.
If you have leftover quiche, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for 4-5 days. This is delicious cold straight out of the fridge or pop in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm.
DISCLOSURE. SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU CLICK ON A PRODUCT LINK, I MAY RECEIVE COMPENSATION. THIS COMPENSATION COMES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, AND AS ALWAYS I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I TRUST! HEATHER BILYEU IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR SITES TO EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM.