Brown butter apple bars are tender, full of fall spices, and topped with a sweet maple glaze. The perfect treat for these chilly falls and holiday season!
Man, I love fall treats! All pumpkin everything. But you know what?? Apple is so underrated!
I don't know about you but my body craves fruits and veggies that are in season throughout the year. And right now all I am wanting is a crisp, tart, and sweet apple!
I love baking with apples. They add just enough sweetness to a recipe and also add moisture making whatever they are banking in so tender and full of flavor!
And then add brown butter to anything......STICK A FORK IN ME!
I am done!
Brown butter apple bars are so tender but also dense with apple and fall spice flavor, resembling almost like a thick cake slice. Then top it off with a maple drizzle..... BLESS IT!!
You will love these! Promise!
How to Make Brown Butter Apple Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place butter in a large shallow skillet on medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and starting to turn brown. Once melted keep an eye on the color and smell. It can go from brown butter to burnt butter very quickly. This whole process will take around 10 minutes. The butter once melted will start to bubble and foam. You will know when it is done when there are brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, it’s a caramel color and starts to smell nutty. Remove from heat and let cool completely (place in the fridge or freezer to speed the process up). Cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add butter to a large bowl with brown sugar. Whisk until combined. This can be done by hand or with a mixer.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is light and smooth.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Gently mix until combined. The dough will be thick and sticky.
- Grate 2 large apples with a food processor or cheese garter. Add to the dough and stir until all incorporated and combined.
- Pour dough into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Place in the oven and bake for 65-70 minutes. At 60 minutes check the center with a toothpick. The took pick will come out clean with just a few crumbs on it. If not finished yet, continue to bake for 5-10 more minutes until finished.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, add all the glaze ingredients to a bowl and whisk until smooth with no lumps remaining.
- Drizzle then glaze over the bars and serve!
What Types of Apples are Best for these Bars?
You want to use a crisp and firm apple like a granny smith or honey crisp for this recipe.
Granny Smith apples are always my go-to apple to use with baking with apples. They hold up when baked in the oven and have the perfect balance of a sweet and tart flavor to compliment any apple dessert.
Avoid using apples like red delicious, McIntosh, or Golden Delicious.
What is Brown Butter?
Brown butter is a process of cooking the butter down in a skillet till it is melted and almost caramelized. As the butter melts it starts to brown it transforms into a rich, nutty, and bold flavor powerhouse that can be used both in savory and sweet dishes.
As you melt the butter and it begins to brown, there will be little bits of brown pieces that start to form on the bottom just further enhancing the flavor. You can use brown butter in things like chocolate chip cookies, rice Krispie treats, or pasta and an incredible sauce for pan-fried gnocchi!
How to Make Brown Butter
- Place ¼ cup of butter in a large shallow skillet on medium heat.
- Cook until butter is melted and starting to turn brown. Once melted keep an eye on the color and smell. It can go from brown butter to burnt butter very quickly. This whole process will take around 10 minutes.
- The butter once melted will start to bubble and foam. You will know when it is done when there are brown bits on the bottom of the skillet, it’s a caramel color and starts to smell nutty.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely (place in the fridge or freezer to speed the process up).
Store leftovers covered tightly in the fridge for 2 days.
More Apple Recipes
- Apple Bundt Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze
- Apple Hand Pies
- My Mom’s Apple Pie Recipe
- Apple Coffee Cake Muffins
More Dessert Bar Recipes
- Red White and Blue Fruit Pizza
- Bourbon Pecan and Chocolate Slab Bars
- Cereal Marshmallow Bars
- Raspberry Crumble Bars
- Chocolate Chex Marshmallow Bars
- Super Soft Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting