Old Fashioned Pumpkin Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting is one of my favorite pumpkin desserts. You can't go wrong with the fall classic!
Listen. I use to be all #pumpkinspiceeverything a while ago. My college roomies and I would go CRAZY over PSL's when they came out and I even remember when Starbucks started launching them on September 1 for all the crazies like us. But over the years the pumpkin craze has died down for me and I am only a die-hard pumpkin fan for a few things. Pumpkin roll, soft pumpkin cookies, my mom's pumpkin pie, and this old fashion pumpkin loaf with cream cheese frosting.
That is all the pumpkin you need. Basically, anything soft and tender that is slattered in a cream cheese frosting of some sort. Hold me back because I have zero self-control.
This loaf is tender and moist and bursting with fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. All topped off with a creamy smooth homemade cream cheese frosting. Yes, please!
Ingredients Needed for Pumpkin Loaf with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 Eggs
- 1 - 15 Ounce Can Pumpkin
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice*
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese - softened
- 3 Tablespoon Butter - softened
- 1 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Milk or Cream
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla
How Do You Make Pumpkin Bread from Scratch?
One of the best parts about this recipe is that it is a one-bowl recipe!
Fewer dishes = ME VERY HAPPY! ?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, pumpkin, sugar, brown sugar, milk, and vegetable oil. Using a whisk, whisk until combined.
- Add in flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Use a spatula to thoroughly mix the batter until no flour is remaining and visible.
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan very well and pour the batter in.
- Place in oven and bake for 60-65 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick to make sure it is finished (it will come out clean when fully baked).
- Remove and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then move to a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Cream Cheese Frosting
While the loaf is baking you can make this and just store it in the fridge till it's cooled and ready to be frosted.
- Let the cream cheese and butter come to room temperature in a large bowl.
- Mix with a hand or stand mixer until fluffy and no clumps remain.
- Add in 1 cup of sifted powdered sugar and mix until everything is smooth and incorporated.
- Add in milk and vanilla. Mix again.
- Add in the final cup of powdered sugar and mix until smooth and mixed well.
- Spread out evenly onto the cool pumpkin cake.
Why is My Pumpkin Bread Dry?
Your pumpkin bread is dry most likely from over baking.
Most pumpkin desserts are very dense and moist thanks to the addition of another liquid/wet ingredient aka the pumpkin.
The pumpkin, eggs, oil, and whatever wet ingredient are used to keep things nice and moist and not dry. If your pumpkin bread is dry, you have most likely overbaked. It is a fine line of not under baking and over baking. That is what I like to use a toothpick inserted into the middle to check the doneness. It should come out clean or just with a few crumbs left on top.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
It has happened to us all. We have a recipe that calls for pumpkin pie spice and looks in our cabinet to find nothing!
No worries! Just make your own!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 4 Tablespoons Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Allspice
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cloves
Mix well and keep in an airtight container with your spices. Use 1 ½ teaspoons of this mix for this recipe.
In fact, this is what I usually do anyways since I have those spices on hand always throughout the year.
Wrap lightly with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to a week after making.
This pumpkin loaf freezes so well! I love freezing anything and everything I can so you better believe this can be made and frozen for a later date too.
Slice the cooled and frosted pumpkin loaf and place it on a baking sheet.
Place in the freezer for 1 hour until each slice if frozen solid.
Vacuum seal the frozen pieces of pumpkin loaf (the Vesta Precision Vac n' Seal Elite is perfect for this! *affiliate link - use code SOUTHERNSOUL for 10% off) to store in a freezer-safe zip-top bag.
Place in the freezer for up to 2 years if vacuum sealed and 6 months if not.
Check out the WEBSTORY here!
More Pumpkin and Fall Recipes You Will Love!
- Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Icing
- Super Soft Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Spice Trail Mix
- Soft Pumpkin Scones with a Maple Drizzle
- Carrot Cake Loaf with Maple Glaze
- Apple Hand Pies