A beloved easy southern appetizer staple, pigs in a blanket made with little smokies and puff pastry is always a hit! Made with just 4 ingredients, these are the perfect bite-size appetizer to serve at any party!
Has there ever been a game day, holiday party, or any occasion where appetizers are present in the south where pigs in a blanket haven't made an appearance? I mean I am sure I guess.....but not a lot.
This beloved childhood favorite is so easy and there is a good reason it is loved by small and big kids alike. We are elevating this classic recipe just a little by using puff pastry instead of crescent dough and topping it with everything bagel seasoning for a little something something extra. You won't be disappointed - I promise!
Whenever I am planning a dinner party or get-together of any kind, I ALWAYS have an app on hand. Small bite-size things like classic southern deviled eggs, crunchy bacon cheddar jalapeno poppers or sausage balls are must-haves always - and this recipe is no different!
100% snackable, 100% dippable, and 100% delicious! Let's get to baking!
You only need 4 ingredients for this recipe:
- Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry - this is found in the frozen dessert section of our grocery store. It comes with 2 sheets inside, this recipe is easy to double if desired. REMEMBER - this is frozen! Place in the fridge for 24 hours before needing to thaw. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to do this, and it is so frustrating!
- Little Smokies - these come in a sausage and beef option - either works but I usually go for the sausage. You can use 2 of the smaller packages or 1 of the larger ones if doubling this recipe. Make sure to pat dry with a paper towel before assembling.
- Egg - whisked together with a little water, this egg wash will help the seasoning stick and give them a nice golden brown color when baking.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning - you can find this anywhere now! At your local grocery store in the seasoning aisle, Costco, Trader Joe's, and even Amazon. Doesn't matter the brand. This adds just a fun extra touch to the recipe.
How to Make
REMEMBER!! Before starting the recipe - place puff pastry in the fridge 24 hours before baking to thaw!
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep dough. Gently unfold the thawed puff pastry and roll it out to a larger rectangle about 10 x 14" in size (does not have to be exact). Cut into smaller rectangles about 1 x 3" in size - again a rough estimate. You can take a Little Smokie and measure the width of the dough (about 1") and then enough length to wrap it completely around (about 3"), slice and cut from there. These are just guideline measurements to help you. Wrap each smaller rectangle around each Little Smokie, gently pressing the dough on the underside to seal. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat with the rest of the Smokies.
- Egg wash. Whisk together the egg and water in a bowl. Gently brush the tops of each smokie with the egg wash and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.
- Serve. Remove from the oven and place on a platter. Serve with honey mustard or your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Serve hot and fresh out of the oven or at room temp. Shoot - even the cold leftovers are delicious!
Dipping Sauce Ideas
Little smokies pigs in a blanket are the perfect dippable appetizer! My favorite and preferred way to serve it is alongside a bowl of homemade honey mustard. The sweet tangy sauce is the perfect complement to the savory bites of sausage and puff pastry. Here are some other sauce ideas that would be great as well (fun idea - serve them all so your guests can choose their favorite!)
- BBQ sauce
- spicy mustard
- plain mustard
- hot or regular honey
More Party Appetizer Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Sliders
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Plantain Bites
- Everything Bagel Bites Stuffed with Cream Cheese
DISCLOSURE. SOME OF THE LINKS BELOW ARE AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU CLICK ON A PRODUCT LINK, I MAY RECEIVE COMPENSATION. THIS COMPENSATION COMES AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU, AND AS ALWAYS I ONLY RECOMMEND PRODUCTS I TRUST! HEATHER BILYEU IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR SITES TO EARN ADVERTISING FEES BY ADVERTISING AND LINKING TO AMAZON.COM.