No party or shower is complete without sausage balls! This recipe is a classic, so easy to make, and can be enjoyed warm, room temp, or even cold!
Here in the south, there is absolutely no bridal or baby shower that is without sausage balls! This recipe is a MUST for all showers, holiday parties, and anywhere an appetizer is needed.
I love these so much! It is such a classic recipe and so easy to make. You only need 4 ingredients and 1 bowl. Plus these can be served warm, room temp, or even cold. AND they are so great to prep ahead.
I meannnnnn this sausage ball recipe is a WIN WIN all around!
- Bisquick Baking Mix
- Pork Sausage
- Cheddar Cheese
- Italian Seasoning
How to Make Sausage Ball Recipe
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl. Using your hands is best to fully mix everything since it is a heavy and thick dough. You can also place it in a stand mixer and mix it that way.
- Using a cookie scoop, and scoop out into 1 inch balls. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top. Remove and enjoy.
Can I Make Sausage Balls Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make sausage balls ahead of time! In fact, they are an excellent make-ahead recipe!
- Make fully according to directions and let cool completely. These can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept sealed in the fridge until needed.
- To Freeze: make fully according to directions and let cool completely. Place in a freezer-safe zip-top bag and freeze for up to 6 months. Place in the fridge 24 hours prior to needed to thaw completely. Place on a platter and bring to room temperature on the counter 1 hour before serving.
You can use any kind of pork sausage for this sausage ball recipe! You just need to make sure that is raw pork sausage in a 1 pound package and NOT already cooked sausage or links or patties. I usually use regular or mild sausage but you can use hot, Italian, maple, or any kind of flavor you want!
You can freeze sausage balls before freezing, however, I find it best to bake the sausage balls all the way through, cool, then freeze. They freeze beautifully and are a great make-ahead appetizer and snack. To Freeze: make fully according to directions and let cool completely. Place in a freezer-safe zip-top bag and freeze for up to 6 months. Place in the fridge 24 hours prior to needed to thaw completely. Place on a platter and bring to room temperature on the counter 1 hour before serving.
I recommend buying a block of cheddar cheese and grating it yourself. You need the moisture and freshness from grating your own cheese for sausage balls rather than nagged pre-shredded cheese that has a dry coating on it.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Easy Antipasto Skewers
- Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Plantain Bites
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Bacon
- Pineapple and Poblano Salsa
- Everything Bagel Bites Stuffed with Cream Cheese
- Scallion Pancakes
- Healthy Ranch Dip
- Cheesy Slow Cooker Sausage Dip